Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 AM   #81
shorty943
Banned

That'll do it. I'm a fresh food nut myself. With plenty of space on the farm, we grow most of our own everything. And I like to experiment as well. I play with trees. Place 2 or 3 related species in the one hole, intertwine the trunks, and watch the most colourful fruit trees grow.
Three or four types of plum on the one apparent tree. Same with apples and pears, on the one tree, grapefruit and limes and lemons and oranges all mixed up together. It's fun.

I spent my youth in the Navy, I know about trying out unusual foods. Most I really liked. To the extent that my normal diet is very international. TexMex, Thai, Indian, Scandinavian, all on the plate at the same time. YUM. I like food.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:05 AM   #82
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

We don't have much space for growing stuff in this house, and I'm not good with plants anyway.

Why didn't I think of that intertwining trees trick?

I've never had an opportunity to knowingly try Scandinavian food. But Mexican, Indian, Thai, some Chinese (haven't had the chance to sample from each province), Japanese, middle eastern, Greek, Italian, Caribbean, French and Anglo-American are all acceptable at some level. It's a bit difficult to get some of that in Ireland though, especially Greek, Caribbean and good Italian.

Apart from potatoes my grandmother used to keep a vegetable patch, lots of fresh lettuce, cabbage, spinach, herbs, tomatoes and rhubarb. She could be fairly adventurous about food, probably came from working in rich people's kitchens back before WWI, that and growing up on a farm maybe.

There are some things I will not knowingly eat for moral or safety reasons. So I wont be trying shark fin soup or birds nest soup.
mikedelaney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #83
shorty943
Banned

Fruit trees will happily grow in nice large tubs, and you can still put at least two to a large pot.
After that just graft on other types of the same family. Apple and pear graft together. All citrus will graft together. All plums graft to each other. Pick a south facing wall (for the northern hemisphere), and espalier, in the French way. Grow and train your fruit trees along a trellise system up the house or shed walls. You end up with four or five trees, and possibly hundreds of different fruit types.
You do need two of most basic types, for pollination. Two apple trees, with Duchess pears, Fuji apples, Granny Smith's, Roman Beauty's, Golden Delicious, and any other you may ever want. All on just two trees.
The same with plums, Green Gage, Coes Golden Drop, Satsuma, Christmas Plum, Cherry Plum, all mixed up in what appears to be one tree, but is in fact the two needed for cross pollination and fruiting.
The most impressive home garden I have ever seen had 127 different types of apple on just 12 trees.
If you get on well with the folks next door, rip out the fence and build a new one out of a fruit tree hedge. Hours of fun for the kids.
When it comes to the veggie patch, I do it mother nature's way. Lots of mulch, as little tilling and digging as possible, and everything in a riot all over the show. NO, formal plots of this and that. Just throw a big bunch of mixed up seeds all over the place, mulch down and water. That way the garden is always a surprise lucky dip of nice healthy organic goodies.
I've built great big mounds out of old tractor truck and car tyres, filled with dirt and mulch, then planted all sorts of crazy things mixed up together, stuck a circular sprinkler on top and waited to see what happens.

Gardening is fun.

Last edited by shorty943 : 08-19-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #84
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Oh! Mystery gardening! It sounds like fun!

"What kind of seed is this?"

"I dunno. Let's plant it and see what we get!"
Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #85
shorty943
Banned

Yep. Only your second line should read, " I dunno either. etc".

And it is, tomato, corn, strawberry, cabbage, taragon, lavender, peppers, it doesn't matter.
Silver beet, radish, persimmon, chives, all tangled together.
Plant them like mother nature does, they'll grow, they don't care about regimental neatness and such. They only grow and fruit and die and grow and fruit again.

Go out to the jungle grab a couple of handfuls of what ever ends up in your fist.
And stir fry it. Or just rip it up and pour a vinaigrette over it.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #86
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty943 View Post
The US is either drowning or frying,
Actually, since the heat broke, it's pretty nice here. Can't leave the door open all night, but the days are just about perfect!
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #87
Greg

There might be an argument in favor of mixing up the crops. It makes it more difficult for pests to run amok.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 AM   #88
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Hmm

Eerie similarities between British Airtours Flight 28M (1985) and China Airlines Flight 120 (2007).

Don't take that to mean I'm pointing the finger at the aircraft manufacturer, I'm not.

Last edited by mikedelaney16 : 08-21-2007 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 AM   #89
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
There might be an argument in favor of mixing up the crops. It makes it more difficult for pests to run amok.
Useful for a self sufficiency farmer, perhaps not so useful for a commercial farmer, unless the public can be educated into buying vegetable luckybags.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #90
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedelaney16 View Post
Hmm

Eerie similarities between British Airtours Flight 28M (1985) and China Airlines Flight 120 (2007).

Don't take that to mean I'm pointing the finger at the aircraft manufacturer, I'm not.
Shouldn't this be in Things That Make You Go Huh?

Darn good thing everyone got out in time tho! Clearly, engine fires are nothing to mess with.

Last edited by Miros1 : 08-21-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #91
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Useful for a self sufficiency farmer, perhaps not so useful for a commercial farmer, unless the public can be educated into buying vegetable luckybags.

Too true. But, at home, you can be sure your food is really organic and chemical free.
The taste is so full, it's so easy to do, it's fun for the whole family.
And you are spot on, Greg. That is one of the principals of companion planting. Certain plants thrive in each others company and help each other by repelling each others pests.
Plant all your garlic and chives for the kitchen around your roses, no more aphids, and beautiful blooms. Peas and corn go in the pot and the plot together. Tomatoes with out basil is a mortal sin. Never eat tomatoes with out basil, never grow tomatoes with out basil. Always together like twins.

Try this for an unusual taste sensation.
Grab a handful of nice sweet cherry tomatoes, halve them sprinkle with a little dark or raw sugar and cream. Tomatoes are actually the fruit of a vine plant.

In the last couple of days.

I have been busy, with an 8 ton motor omnibus in the last 2 days. Very sleepy last night.
But, the heavy work of cutting the roof off, lifting it up 12 inches, fabricating the new support columns and then re-welding it all together. Done. We started Sunday, walked out of the work shop at just before 5.00 pm, 2 1\2 hours ago. Now comes the frou-frou. The fit out as a mobile kitchen for the up coming harvest.
An MAN tour coach, 36 feet long, chopped, cut and shut, like a hot rod shop, 2 days, just like that. Started re-skinning this afternoon. Weary again now.

Some thing something "China Airlines"?
Lock on, fire at will. Shoot them down and shut them down. Period.
They have the rather dubious honour?, of having the worst maintenance and safety record in the world.
Bring them down and keep them down. Shut down China Airlines.
They are frightening, far too many accidents and incidents. I was a sport pilot, in a younger life. I don't hold my liscence now, I don't think CA should either.

Ummm, That's it, I just confused myself, need caffeine.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #92
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Depending on the findings of the investigation, they may get grounded. Or failing that, Boeing and Airbus may refuse to let them fly their aircraft. There's no way of knowing the cause yet, but it does look eerily similar to the incident in Manchester 22 years ago, so there may be criminal negligence involved. Of course it could turn out to have been caused by some hitherto unknown fault, but I don't think that's likely.

I also have to ask questions about Okinawa airport and how an aircraft with a fire wasn't spotted and evacuated long before it got to the terminal.

Miros1, I figured this topic slotted right into a thread about collapsing bridges, burning islands, etc. I thought the "Things that make you go Huh?" thread was more about Sims2 stuff
Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 AM   #93
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Lol, yeah, I forgot what the first post in this thread was... I did intend the Huh? thread as Sims2 stuff, but that promptly got hijacked!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 AM   #94
Greg

Sims, schmims, I wanna see pictures of that omnibus!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:34 AM   #95
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Could you define omnibus in this context?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:53 AM   #96
Greg

Quote:
Could you define omnibus in this context?
Yup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty943 View Post
I have been busy, with an 8 ton motor omnibus in the last 2 days. Very sleepy last night.
But, the heavy work of cutting the roof off, lifting it up 12 inches, fabricating the new support columns and then re-welding it all together. Done. We started Sunday, walked out of the work shop at just before 5.00 pm, 2 1\2 hours ago. Now comes the frou-frou. The fit out as a mobile kitchen for the up coming harvest.
An MAN tour coach, 36 feet long, chopped, cut and shut, like a hot rod shop, 2 days, just like that. Started re-skinning this afternoon. Weary again now.
Does that sound cool or what?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 AM   #97
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Heh! I read it and didn't see it. I must have lost my mind, let me know if any of you find it, it's kinda like a giant walnut.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #98
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Okey Dokey, photo's of one mid-conversion of an MAN motor-omnibus.

We started with this. A former local passenger transit coach. Then came the hacking and the cutting, and the lifting of the roof. That went well I think.

Note to self. Next time, I'll do the rigging up.

But, by Monday evening, the roof was sitting back on its new support columns, and I had begun stitching it all back together. The front end windows had been removed and bracing fitted, and the brand new skin in galvanised sheet was being refitted by yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon. Today was filled with ensuring all welds are to standard, flushing down ready to reskin the rear end, and fabricating up new window frames for the rear end.

Oops, back soon, forgot to tell Gimp to save in the correct file format.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Bus 1.jpg (96.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg The Bus 3.jpg (83.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg The Bus 5.jpg (90.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #99
shorty943
Banned

Okay, that didn't take long. About 2 days, and we had done this. We only raised the rear roof section 12 inches. That way we could leave the original air conditioning system in place.
Now comes the reskin, and fit the hopper windows, the top sections of the removed standard windows, back into the raised rear section. Which will be the kitchen section, the original front, or more correctly, mid section is to be the "store front".

Once the engineering is complete, I step back, and let "she who must be obeyed", take charge of the "frou-frou".

All nice shiny new IKEA appliances, stainless steel splash backs. To be re-painted in burgandy red. Flash as Michael Jackson, to feed hungry grain carters during the rush of harvest season.

The bloke in red is Nifty, the owner and my Landlord, I'm the one supervising, as my status is project engineer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bus roof 01.jpg (219.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bus roof 1.jpg (257.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Bus roof 2.jpg (221.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Bus roof 3.jpg (246.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bus roof 4.jpg (213.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bus roof 5.jpg (244.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #100
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I assume the inadvertant lowering of the roof is the reason you said you were going to do the lifting next time?