Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Hokieman
Solar Max

Default Sim Genealogy

I been recently having something going on in my game that I wondered if anyone else has had occur before I go digging through my downloads looking for the cause.

Lately, I've had 4 female custom body shape sims grow up into different shapes than their parents. i.e. a sim grew up to be a Fashion Model when her mother was either a CPU, Rengal or default. Father was a default size. All three mothers were different skintones, 1 dark, 1 light, 1 tan. All three kids ended up with the same fashion model skintone. Also had a Rengal show up in a 3rd generation default size family.

It might be that I've been under a misconception regarding Warlokk's body shapes. I thought that the babies would grow up with the same skintone as one of their parents, not shift to a completly new skintone. Looking at these sims in SimPE, the parents skintones show as the recessives. I've never had this happen before - it's always been like begats like.

Anybody have any insight into this?
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Hmm... now that you mention it, I don't think I have any data. Off hand I can't think of even one sim who I have raised from a Warlokk body shape. Of course, there's a 50% chance that a baby girl would inherit her skin tone, and hence body shape, from her father.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Ok, here's a wild idea... If the father was Male-Default-Female-FM and the mother was a Male-SBB-Female-CPU, the girls could be either Female-FM (with dad's complexion) or Female-CPU (with mom's complexion). The boys could be Male-default (dad's complexion) or Male-SBB (mom's complexion). Assuming both are non-genetic (genetic = slotted into the Maxis S1/S2/S3/S4 sequence).

Another possibility is that you've got a geneticized skin in there (not either parent's skin), and the game is somehow picking that as "between" the parents' skintones.

Baring those... what's your newest EP? Do you use the randomizer gizmo so all your first-born-in-a-play-session kids don't look alike?
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:48 AM   #4
Greg

Baring those? Not on this site!

My understanding is that if the skin tone has not been set to match a Maxian skin tone, then the child will either inherit or not; no half measures. If it is set to one of the four Maxis tones, then it must be some kind of a law of probablility what you get.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Baring those? Not on this site!
I have a limited number of brain cells sometimes. I can figure out Hokieman's problems or use barring vs. baring correctly...

Quote:
My understanding is that if the skin tone has not been set to match a Maxian skin tone, then the child will either inherit or not; no half measures. If it is set to one of the four Maxis tones, then it must be some kind of a law of probablility what you get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
< snip >(genetic = slotted into the Maxis S1/S2/S3/S4 sequence).< snip >
Yes, you can geneticize skins just like you can bin hair.... And you don't just have to set it to a Maxis value, you can set it to half way between the two (or any other two digits-after-the-decimal).
Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Greg

I'd guess that the main sequence has to do with melanin...
S1 = light
S2 = tan
S3 = medium
S4 = dark
... but are there also genetic skin tones for aliens, zombies, and whatevers?

I'd also guess that if you bin all the Warlokk skin tone as an S1, S2, S3, or S4 the kids might have any body shape with the same melanin density. That would mean that binning the body shapes is a bad idea if you want offspring to inherit the body shape.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
Hokieman
Solar Max

Thanks guys!

Ok, with two exceptions, the parents came from CAS or came pre installed with base game or university. I am running custom default skins for S1 - S5 and the vampire skin. Also has it happen again with a Rengal mother, a Rio father and the 3 kids came out as an FM girl, a Rengal girl and a Rengal boy. In one case the parents were Priya Ramaswami and Ty Bubbler - 1st kid was a Rengal girl, next two were FM girls.

I've got everything installed except Apartment Life. And nope, I don't use any randomizer hacks. I was wondering if somehow Freetime introduced a new "hidden feature".

I didn't know about geneticized skins. Previously, I could count on a child coming with one or the other parents skin and associated body shape. The kid ALWAYS got one of it's parents skintone (and bodyshape). I could count on it. Now, I think I might just a look at that FM skintone in SimPE to see if it is geneticized since it's popped up four times now. I'm going to also check for a skin randomizer hack too.

Actually, I don't mind the randomness - that's the way life is, and the same size family is a bit boring but it is a change in how my game plays that I didn't expect. If it keeps up, I'm a little concerned that I'll get overrun with FMs after a few generations.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Greg

I don't think I would like it if that happened in my game, but I haven't played too many muti-generation families lately.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
<snip>... but are there also genetic skin tones for aliens, zombies, and whatevers?
Nope, those are always custom AFAIK.

Quote:
I'd also guess that if you bin all the Warlokk skin tone as an S1, S2, S3, or S4 the kids might have any body shape with the same melanin density. That would mean that binning the body shapes is a bad idea if you want offspring to inherit the body shape.
Yep. My Sims kept popping out freckled babies using one of Genemsims skintones (geneticised by Madame Mim). I started forcing myself to use the Sim Generator Randomizer and that stopped happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokieman View Post
<snip>Ok, with two exceptions, the parents came from CAS or came pre installed with base game or university. I am running custom default skins for S1 - S5 and the vampire skin. Also has it happen again with a Rengal mother, a Rio father and the 3 kids came out as an FM girl, a Rengal girl and a Rengal boy. In one case the parents were Priya Ramaswami and Ty Bubbler - 1st kid was a Rengal girl, next two were FM girls.

I've got everything installed except Apartment Life. And nope, I don't use any randomizer hacks. I was wondering if somehow Freetime introduced a new "hidden feature".

I didn't know about geneticized skins. Previously, I could count on a child coming with one or the other parents skin and associated body shape. The kid ALWAYS got one of it's parents skintone (and bodyshape). I could count on it. Now, I think I might just a look at that FM skintone in SimPE to see if it is geneticized since it's popped up four times now. I'm going to also check for a skin randomizer hack too.
Link sent via PM.

Quote:
Actually, I don't mind the randomness - that's the way life is, and the same size family is a bit boring but it is a change in how my game plays that I didn't expect. If it keeps up, I'm a little concerned that I'll get overrun with FMs after a few generations.
I like my kids to be unique too.

I even create Sims in CAS, "make child" there, grow the child up to adult and delete the parents, so the born-in-game children will have some little surprises.
"Look, grandma's eyes! Grandpa's hair!"
I would look at the FM skin; it sounds a bit too likely.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Greg

Better check Rengal, too. If the Rengal is showing up as a child of Maxian skin tones, she's probably binned, too.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #11
Hokieman
Solar Max

Thanks guys!

Yep, I'll check that one too.

I haven't had time to check the suspect skintones or go hunting through my downloads yet. I'll followup when I manage to get to it.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #12
Greg

If you're like me, that means maybe sometimes in the next millenium
Old 11-20-2008, 12:31 AM   #13
Hokieman
Solar Max

Well, maybe not that long.....................but it isn't going to happen tonight
Old 11-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #14
Coco
Loving Life!

How do you check to see if a skintone is binned?

Proud member of the Western Pennsylvania Chili & Literary Society
Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #15
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Good question...

Madame Mim (who has various other tutorials on GenenSims) sez the definitive tutorial on making skintones genetic is on Bog Sims in the tutorial section.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
Greg

This must be it: http://www.bogsims.com/tutorials/geneproperties.txt

I s'pose that the same tutorial might provide a clue about how to repair skin tones that should not be "genetic."
Old 11-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I think you just change the "genetic" number to 0, for non-genetic. You could check this with a skintone that you know is non-genetic.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #18
Greg

Confirmed. Under Skin Tone XML (XSTN)(1) it says:
genetic (dtSingle) =0
So you just need to give that property a value of zero to fix any skins that should note be binned.