Miros1
Goddess for Life

Default Brag about smart kids here!

Not bad for the child of two Townies...
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Golly? What's left? He'll never qualify for the orphan scholarship, but he could get kidnapped by aliens!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Well, the telescope is currently in the living room pointed out the bay windows, but I guess I could move it outside...

He's the first kid in my game to get the Billiards scholarship.

Stuff you don't get scholarships for:
Fishing badge
Gardening badge
Toymaking badge

Yes, my teens have far too much time on their hands!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1
Stuff you don't get scholarships for:
Fishing badge
Gardening badge
Toymaking badge
That's always been a tiny peeve of mine. It would be nice if there were some "up to date" options for scholarships & turn ons/offs that kicked in for those of us with EP's! (I have read a few posts that indicate Bon Voyage may include some new turn ons/offs, but of course now one will really know untill the EP is released.)
Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
Greg

It would be nice if kids could save up for college. And parents could start a college fund for them. And adults and elders could go to college.

I'm not really looking forward to turn-ons and turn-offs. The ones they've got are already painfully sophomoric; doubt that EA will come up with anything better.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Mine just don't get to woohoo until they've got several thousand in the scholarship fund. Very motivating!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Greg

Now that would be a nifty way to build a personality engine--provide the characters with some goals beyond instant gratification and let them work toward their goals, even if it's just being able to woohoo.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
It would be nice if kids could save up for college. And parents could start a college fund for them. And adults and elders could go to college.
Wow! That would be a great feature! (Never understood why Adults & Elders weren't let to go back to school, as it happens all the time in RL...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I'm not really looking forward to turn-ons and turn-offs. The ones they've got are already painfully sophomoric; doubt that EA will come up with anything better.
Just for the record, I never said I was looking forward to the (possible) new turn-ons & turn-offs in Bon Vouyage, just that it was nice to see an EP include something different in that arena!

Granted, many of the turn-ons & offs in the game seem silly (what woman in her right mind would be turned off by a guy in a tux?) but given the way Sim info is "coded" & stored, I'm not real sure how else EA/Maxis could have programed them. Like it or not, in RL ones appearance is usually what intitally attracts people to each other (as a "nice personality" gal myself I am painfully aware of this) although it would have been nice if they included personality (outgoing, active, etc.) in the list of turn-ons & turn-offs! (Since Sims don't really have a sense of humour persay or enjoy long walks along the beach at night, EA/Maxis didn't have alot of options...)
Old 08-16-2007, 05:59 AM   #9
Greg

Yup, there is no comeliness factor in The Sims. At best, there are superficial things like hair color and glasses. "Oh wow! That guy wears glasses and has black hair! Who cares if he looks like a toad? I want to have his baby!"

It just doesn't work for me.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #10
homerette
Day late & a dollar short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
"Oh wow! That guy wears glasses and has black hair! Who cares if he looks like a toad? I want to have his baby!"
Old 08-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Yup, there is no comeliness factor in The Sims. At best, there are superficial things like hair color and glasses. "Oh wow! That guy wears glasses and has black hair! Who cares if he looks like a toad? I want to have his baby!"
I second the posted by homerette!

(I find it strange that they have Hair Color- which I find to be a legitimate "first thing to catch your eye" item- but no Eye Color. And what's with the getting turned on by "stink"???? )

On the "plus" side, I've been pretty successfull in using the strangely shallow Maxis/EA "turn-on" system to help keep Sims from being head over heels in lust...er...love(?)...with the "wrong" Sim. (Like say every freaking "Romance" Sim they should happen to meet!! )

Since one "off" can counter 2 "ons" it's usually just a matter of making the Sim in question hate hats or something. (Come to think of it, it's probabely best that Maxis didn't try for "sense of humour" & such as a turn on/off as they most likely would have coded those freaking "Romance" Sims to "have it all", so to speak....)
Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:

It just doesn't work for me.
If they did, comeliness would probably be defined as "person closely resembles one of the ugly Maxis face templates"!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
Greg

Aha! That's what the game needs! A Sim's aspiration ought to be a major turn-on or turn-off. By default, I suspect that Family sims would have great disdain for Romance sims. In fact, except for Pleasure Seekers, and maybe including even them, just about everybody would have great disdain for Romance sims.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #14
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Aha! That's what the game needs! A Sim's aspiration ought to be a major turn-on or turn-off. By default, I suspect that Family sims would have great disdain for Romance sims. In fact, except for Pleasure Seekers, and maybe including even them, just about everybody would have great disdain for Romance sims.
Now that would be a smart use of the "on/off" system! (Who knows; maybe Bon Voyage will add such a feature??? )
Old 08-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
Greg

It really would be nice if sims that don't have the Romance aspiration didn't instantly succomb to their obnoxious behavior. IMHO, that bit is the sickest thing that Maxis programmed into the game.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #16
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I think there's a hack for no-swooning at the Nasty Board. ACR also ensures that the significant other is not in the room before it allows a Sim to accept an advance from anyone, including Romance Sims.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #17
Greg

At least it's a start toward having the sims avoid totally idiotic behavior. It would make more sense for Romance sim not to attempt an advance while the signfiicant other is in the room; and more sense for a Family sim to tell him to take a hike regardless of who's watching.