Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 02:01 AM   #21
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

And the answer is... no joy. It was in the unoccupied lots and seemed to install OK, but when I tried to enter the lot, the game crashed.

This might be because I used the installer from The Sims 2 folder instead of from the Open For Business Folder.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #22
Hokieman
Solar Max

Uh Oh - It was exported with Bon Voyage. That might be the problem.

Has anyone else had a problem with it? If so, I will try again and replace the file.
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #23
Greg

Oh, that's a good point! I don't even have Bon Voyage.

I'll try reinstalling it with Clean Installer and see what happens.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #24
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Odessa seems to be having problems importing pre-BV lots into her game with BV. I think TigressKitten had the same problem, but was willing to live with it.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #25
Greg

I import so few lots that I might never have noticed that I had any problem at all, but in this case I'm still not sure that I used the correct installer.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #26
Hokieman
Solar Max

I had a problem with some commercial lots for a while but once I installed the BV patch it seems to have fixed itself. My problem was sims going to a commercial lot that I had made in the base hood and then copied to a downtown neighborhood. When the lot opened, it always went into build mode and wouldn't let me play. Had a few owner sims hung up where I couldn't get to them. Still have a few problems with them but I can live with good ol' Mrs. Crumplebottom not showing up. Miss the Vampires though.

On the power plant lot though, there is very little custom content there - mainly the reflexsims windows. What I don't remember is what BV content is there.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Was your lot owned in the original hood?

Back when I used the tacnuke (deleteallchars), I used to have problems when new Sims tried to visit lots owned by the Maxis characters. The solution was to package the lots, reinstall them, bulldoze the original lots and drop the replacements into the same location in Bluewater Village.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #28
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
The solution was to package the lots, reinstall them, bulldoze the original lots and drop the replacements into the same location in Bluewater Village.
Gott im Himmel! That must have taken hours! Was it worth it?
Old 05-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #29
Hokieman
Solar Max

Rose, yes, it had been owned by an active sim but it was not owned when I copied it to the lots bin.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #30
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Gott im Himmel! That must have taken hours! Was it worth it?
Actually, there are just a few owned community lots in BWV: the bakery, the furniture store, Club Dante, and the art gallery.

I did pack up and install all the lots into the lot bin, because I absolutely hate the Maxis hoods and subhoods. Now I just plop in my favorite custom hood templates and slap on the Maxis community lots. Instant subhood!

I did the packaging and installing in one fell swoop, so it took less than half an hour for everything.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #31
Greg

Oddly enough, except for colleges, I have never created a custom subhood. I just don't think of it.

But now that I am thinking of it, it would be a lot easier to create something like a custom shopping district for a new neighborhood, rather than having to export and import story characters from one neighborhood to the next.

As far as I know, there is no difference at all between the main neighborhood and a shopping district or a downtown. Is that right?

F'rinstance, when I built the facilities on South Padre Island I had to duplicate all the teen stars from Happy Valley. If I had that to do over, I would have created a "2642" subneighborhood for Happy Valley.

I could also have made the Meat Market a shopping district of Happy Valley and had all the main characters available right there.

I wish there were an easy way to duplicate a neighborhood, people and all. That would have made 2642 a lot easier. I could have just changed the ages of the existing characters. As it is, I have child and teen versions of most of the stars running around my main neighborhood.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #32
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I don't know of any difference between a shopping subhood and a main hood, other than you can have multiple subhoods. They're both inhabited by playable characters and Townies.

A downtown subhood is slightly different. It's inhabited by playable characters and Downtownies.

So you'd set up a shopping district or a downtown depending on which type of passers-by you want.

As for duplicating 'hoods -- I believe you can do this fairly easily.

1) Back up your existing hood, just in case.
2) Open up your My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Neighborhoods folder.
3) Use the right mouse button to drag the desired hood to an empty spot in the folder. Choose "Copy" from the context menu that pops up when you remove your finger from the mouse button.
4) Rename the hood to N00#, where # is an unused hood number.
5) Double click the renamed folder.
6) Press control-F (for the Windows search function). Search for N00*, where * is the old 'hood number.
7) Patiently (and tediously) rename each file and folder to the new hood number.
8) Open SimPE and change to "plug in" mode (tabs at the bottom) if necessary.
9) Open the Neighborhood Browser.
10) (I think, I'll have to check) The neighborhood ID should come up on the first page displayed in the bottom window.
11) Click the link for "Make Unique." This should change the GUID for the whole hood to an unused one.

Last edited by Miros1 : 05-18-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #33
Greg

Downtownies are just a different pool of townies, right?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #34
Hokieman
Solar Max

Greg, yes and no. Most of the townies are just like any other townie. All of them seem to be the same as those in the base hood except they generally have higher skill levels per the game brochure/manual that comes in the box. But there are special characters in Downtown that do not show up anywhere else. Mrs. Crumplebottom and the Vampires. According to everything I've read here and other boards, if you really want to mess up a game, messing with any of them, I beleive it is 5 (Mrs. C, 4 Vamps), special characters is a sure way to do it. The Vamps can be called and will come to a non-downtown lot though.

Uni is similar but other than the young adults, there aren't any special characters. YAs rarely do walk bys in the base or other subhoods. It seems to be related to whether you have a college grad on the lot (now an adult).

BV may be the same way. Ordinary townies can show up in any hood, but the special characters don't, although the Charleton seems to show up on any commercial lot. Sasquatch doesn't for sure. I'm not as sure on that EP as I really haven't played the vacation lots much.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #35
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Mrs. C is the one character you shouldn't mess with. She's stored in the objects file under Program Files instead of having her own package file. You should write protect your files as described in my tutorial. The vamps have their own packages, and you can easily reduce the number to one by performing the NL step of "No Ugly Townies."

In Uni subhoods, the mascots, cheerleaders, and coaches are special characters. If you marry any of them, you need to do a BHAV transplant from a normal Sim or they'll suddenly change into their University outfits and perform their most annoying behaviors. Yes, they do this. I've seen it myself.