Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Zenmistress
Solar Max

Question I miss my sims....

and all the things that go with 'em.

Hope everyone had great holidays and that ya'll are doing well.

My computer is still giving me fits. I let it sit dormant for a couple weeks cause I was ready to take a sledgehammer to it!

I've reformatted the hard-drive, reinstalled my OS and I'm still crashing. Getting "serious error" messages and the BSoD. All I have installed is my OS and a new, clean anti-virus program. *sigh*

My device manager states that all my hardware is enabled and functioning properly, which is the only thing I could think of that would cause such a problem.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations? Besides purchasing a new machine, which is out of the question at this time.

At this rate, I may see my simmies again.
Zenmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Miros1
Goddess for Life

EEK!

I was getting hangs and crashes on my 98 machine and it turned out to be a bad cpu fan -- basically, the processor was getting too hot and giving up the ghost.

Other possibilities is a flaky boot drive (but that usually hangs, not crashes) or a flaky memory card.

We have a local shop that can test components for us for not too much money -- see if anyone local to you (like Kelly) can recommend someone.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Yeah, it sounds like it must be some kind of hardware problem like that unless your operating system disks have a corrupt OS on 'em.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
shorty943
Banned

Sandy, tell us exactly the "serious error" message.
It seems like one of two things. Failing hard drive or failing memory.

A low level format of the hard drive to "mark BAD CLUSTERS" on the disk will prevent any information from ever being written to a failed memory cluster on a hard disk. There are also floppy disk images of system tools with their own independent operating system that will "tufftest" your memory chips.
Tufftest, being one of them. The Universal Boot CD is another, now at about version5.

I have a massive library of that kind of tool chest. All in ISO format, to be burned to a bootable CD or to a USB bootable disk for troubleshooting.

I suggest you point your browser to

www.zdnet.com/downloads

much good stuff there.
Or maybe Greg can gently and carefully OK an upload for you.
Some of these tools are less than a floppy disk in size, some are a full 50 meg business card sized CD. Massive things.
For instance, I have a version of QNX (Quantum Networking Unix) that fits on a 1.4 meg floppy and puts an old 386 machine onto the internet without needing a hard disk at all, it only needs a serial modem and its away fully GUI, massive access to tools on the net, and can fix things over a network on another machine. Wonderful toy.
PuppyLinux will load completely into less than 32 meg of memory, and is so fast you can't get your finger off the mouse button fast enough.
All tools to fix what Bill broke.

But, if it is hardware, then replacement is the only option.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:30 AM   #5
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty943 View Post
...Or maybe Greg can gently and carefully OK an upload for you...
Eh? What?

If it's available for download from zdnet, I don't see a need to upload it here.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Eh? What?

If it's available for download from zdnet, I don't see a need to upload it here.

Good.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
Zenmistress
Solar Max

I can't keep my computer at home up long enough to get to any online resources. Its very frustrating. I've given up, once again.

I'm crashing in 'safe mode', so maybe my hard-drive is flaky. Our friend runs a computer shop, but he's getting married next weekend, so I haven't wanted to bother him. I'll wait until the honeymoon is over. LOL
Old 01-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Well, you could convince your hubby to buy you a new hard drive as an early Valentine's present...

If your current drive is a Maxtor (you'd probably need to pop the case to find out), is it still under warentee? I think Maxtor is 5 years. If so, you call Maxtor, describe your symptoms, if they think the drive is bad, they ship you a new drive, you send yours back, and everything's happy.

A drive is really easy to replace, especially when there's nothing on it, and a Maxtor replacement drive comes with handy software to set it up.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
Zenmistress
Solar Max

It is a Maxtor, but it's over 5 years old. Its an 80Gig that has been partitioned. I didn't do it myself. The partitions are C, E and F - D is my older, old hard-drive. How do I find out if the problem lies only on the C partition - or if one partition on the HD is bad, does that mean the whole kaboodle is? And can I install the OS onto another partition?
How do I change a 'drive' from slave to master?

I still have tons of stuff on my other partitions and don't wanna lost it, I have backed up most of it onto disks, tho.

I hate having to rely on getting my email and surfing at work - cause I don't often get any kind of break during the day to do it.

Thanks again for bearing with my dilemma.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #10
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Here's the link for Maxtor/Seagate Troubleshooting: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/i...rt/DM20&21.jpg tells you how to set your drive to "Auto-select" by moving the jumper block on the back. Most drives are set that way (I think the manufacturer recommends it), but if you assume that, you know your drive won't be. Once the jumper is in the correct position, you just plug the middle plug on the ribbon cable into the back of your drive. Then you plug the end plug that was plugged into your old drive into the new drive and run the CD that came with your new drive to do the formatting and partitioning.

With large drives, always use the U-100 cable (has 3 different color plugs), not the plain ribbon cable with all 3 plugs the same color. This cable will come with your new drive.

Maxtor also sells an ATA(?) card that will let you plug 4 physical drives into it.

That early Valentine's present is sounding better and better!

Last edited by Miros1 : 01-25-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
Greg

The middle plug goes to the master drive?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
Miros1
Goddess for Life

No, the middle plug is the slave drive, in this case, her old drive. The end plug is the master drive, in this case, her Valentine present drive. Most UDMA100 cables have labels on the plugs. Guess I was distracted when I tried to explain this...
Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
Zenmistress
Solar Max

This makes my brain hurt...

I keep finding floor plans in magazines that I want to make for my sims. Gotta work it out somehow!!

Thanks for the tips.