Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2008, 02:46 AM   #141
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

The Hullabaloo

It was our board back in the days when there was a SimsHost. The site is available for reading but I took out the software that enrolls new users because I can't keep up with maintaining so many boards. The Hullabaloo uses phpBB and I like the vBulletin software that Sun Sims uses, so here we are!

If you're thinking of building a railgun kind of launcher, mountains won't help much. Even at the peak of Mt. Everest, if you were accelerate a payload to orbital velocity and let it hit the atmosphere, the theoretical stagnation temperature would be over a million degrees. (Never mind what temperature scale you use to measure it. You'll have a plasma of disassociated atomic particles long before you get up to speed.)
Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 AM   #142
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
The Hullabaloo

It was our board back in the days when there was a SimsHost. The site is available for reading but I took out the software that enrolls new users because I can't keep up with maintaining so many boards. The Hullabaloo uses phpBB and I like the vBulletin software that Sun Sims uses, so here we are!

If you're thinking of building a railgun kind of launcher, mountains won't help much. Even at the peak of Mt. Everest, if you were accelerate a payload to orbital velocity and let it hit the atmosphere, the theoretical stagnation temperature would be over a million degrees. (Never mind what temperature scale you use to measure it. You'll have a plasma of disassociated atomic particles long before you get up to speed.)
Umm. Not good huh?

Like a "Teleporter", without a receiver end?

OK, I'll go back to Land Rover gearboxes then shall I?
At least I understand them!
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #143
Greg

Yup. I suspect a teleporter that lost its receiver in the middle of transmission would produce much the same results!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #144
shorty943
Banned

I think I'll go feed the cattle.

I've struck a small problem with my Land Rover conversion as well. I need to couple two different gearboxes together with a fabricated male\female splined coupler. Really don't want to purchase a brand new part, only to hack it down, and any secondhand part I have seen so far, is too secondhand to be of any use.
Oh well, back to the search for that one part, that for now, seems to be made of "unobtainium".

And how is our "Master and Commander" fairing against the Frenchie?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #145
Greg

Jack Aubrey has just joined a blockade of a French port in the Mediterranean. He's captain of an aging second rate slab-sided ship of the line, strong on crew but relatively weak in the officer department. He's hoping the French fleet will come out and fight but so far they're just sort of hanging out, biding their time.

The admiral of the fleet is doing poorly. The doctors try to order him home but he really wants to stick around and fight the French if they'll just come out.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #146
shorty943
Banned

Might be a hawsepipe promotion or two, if the Frenchies come out to play.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #147
Greg

So far it's a matter of dealing with the boredom of the blockade. The 8th book in the series starts out with quite a bit of attention to shipboard life. No guns fired in anger yet, but they've been having fun with training runs using gunpowder that Captain Jack bought from a fireworks manufacturer.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #148
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
So far it's a matter of dealing with the boredom of the blockade. The 8th book in the series starts out with quite a bit of attention to shipboard life. No guns fired in anger yet, but they've been having fun with training runs using gunpowder that Captain Jack bought from a fireworks manufacturer.

The very first things, one learns in recruit school are.

"That man there", and "HURRY UP AND WAIT".

And ah, good old practice.
We used to do that to. Just about any Sunday afternoon, you would find us,
standing on a tossing destroyers quarter deck, shouting "pull", to the bloke launching the clay targets for us.
Of course we had to pay for the amo we used. It was only 12 gauge anyway.
And the pretty pink skeet clays.