Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Default Asteroid

That would be the well-advertised Sci-Fi Channel thingie named Asteroid, which is showing at this very moment.

So far, I'd say it's somewhere between weak and lame. The special effects are tiresome. The acting is too stilted for me to really care about the main characters. Production values vary between mediocre and rank amateur. Technically, it's pretty near zero.

I'll give one big plus: For once they didn't portray government officials as a bunch of idiots. Instead, they portray the whole world as a bunch of idiots; but at least it's not a bunch of conspiracy cover-up I-don't-want-to-hear-from-you-crackpots drivel.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
shorty943
Banned

Yep, The program where the Mexican guy really screws up?

On a similar latest boogeyman topic, a BBC program has just aired here. Terrorism and what to do if you are scared.

America has spent billions bolstering up Homeland Security and such like, we here are doing the same, in England they have formed 79 committees, to figure out if it's feasible to run a feasibility study. Apparently.
The producers of the show seem both amused and concerned with the British inhouse government thinking. Not the elected, but the employed "public servant". There must be a universal "pool of fools" just for the public service.
All nations share them egually.

And to finish off.

What the hell have you been doing up Stephenville way mate?
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Miros1
Goddess for Life

My terrorism preparedness plan: If I actually have to fly anywhere, I'm going to limp really badly (which shouldn't be hard, my knees ache) and take my mother's cane with me. It's 3/4" hollow steel rod with a handy hand grip. Anyone tries to hijack the plane, I'll beat them senseless!

No one in their right mind is going to do anything to the one-horse town I live in, so I'm not worried about that. Not to mention, probably half the people in town have guns.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
No one in their right mind is going to do anything to the one-horse town I live in, so I'm not worried about that. Not to mention, probably half the people in town have guns.

Yeah, I'm prepared too. I live so far from the worldly rat race, all I have to do is shrug and say "Bah Humbug".

Of course we have different gun laws here. Our government doesn't trust us with guns.
I think it is because they do stuff we don't like. And they're scared that we might do the same thing the rest of the world does.
And shoot the useless bastards.

I had a really good idea a long time ago but I just don't seem to be able to get any politician to agree.

I think the next time some idiot politician starts yelling about a war.
We should put the guns in their bloody coward hands, and tell them "you want the war, you go fight the war".

All fixed. Never be any more war. Never again.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
Greg

We hear all about terrorism over here, too--or at least those who waste their time watching the television "news" dramas do--but I was more interested in dissing the Sci Fi channel's lame attempts at science fiction than having the fifty billionth reutterance of the tired old anti-war theories.

(That was a polite way of warning you that this is coming dangerously close to political hate-mongering. As I'm sure you're aware, this is wrong site for it.)
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #6
shorty943
Banned

So is it the same show? Big rock hits the Yucatan, and the world gets upset?

Massive tsunami's, earthquakes, lights go out till the dust settles, then it gets really cold etcetera?

And the father and daughter, find missing mum, and they all live happily ever after on the Mediteranean coast of France?

At least that was the plot of the show, a 2 part docu-drama, that was aired here about 2 weeks ago.

There has to be a happy ending. People might think they are mortal or something other wise. Got to have a happy ending.

Is that the show you mean Greg?

Of course I reckon, don't worry about it, it will probably never happen.

And you're still MUM about Stephenville. All over the morning news here. Stephenville Texas, is the "new" Roswell New Mexico, mate.

What you been doin up there. The locals are all "afeared" to go into the woods in case of a big bunch of UFO's.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Oh, that's where Odessa's Unidentified Flying Shoes, Reflective Purple Platform Style went... (InSimAdult joke)
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:40 AM   #8
Greg

Shorty, this is a new one. Lots and lots of asteroids hit and make a total mess. I don't know how it turns out because after three hours, I gave up on it.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #9
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
Oh, that's where Odessa's Unidentified Flying Shoes, Reflective Purple Platform Style went... (InSimAdult joke)
Makes sense. According to the early news here, Friday. There were some bright lights that, "flew like no plane can" etc, over Stephenville or Stevensville in Texas last week. The USAF in the Fort Worth region said "Nope, we don't know", as is usual anyway. Nobody told America? How wude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Shorty, this is a new one. Lots and lots of asteroids hit and make a total mess. I don't know how it turns out because after three hours, I gave up on it.
Sorry, I can't actually recall the show title or producers, of the one that recently ran here. This was a 2 part show, over 2 nights, totaling about 4 to 4 1\2 hours. As is usually the case, more drama and conjecture by directors, than factual science.
But, it was better than reruns of "Friends" or some rubbish.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Greg

Yup. I can say this for it: It's science fiction. Poorly done, sophomoric science fiction, but at least it's closer to what you'd expect on the Sci-Fi channel than the History Channel is to history!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #11
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Yup. I can say this for it: It's science fiction. Poorly done, sophomoric science fiction, but at least it's closer to what you'd expect on the Sci-Fi channel than the History Channel is to history!
And if the news reports here yesterday are true. Delete the Discovery channel from your list of favourites, or, just rename it to The Oprah Network.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
Greg

Oprah Winfrey has something to do with the Discovery Channel?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #13
homerette
Day late & a dollar short

Yep, except that it's the Discovery Health Network and it will be renamed the O(prah)W(infrey)N(etwork), launching in 2009.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #14
shorty943
Banned

Be afraid.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
Greg

Omigoodness. I have no idea what to expect. I don't watch the Discovery Health Networks so I s'pose it's fine by me if Oprah wants to have her own playpen. After all, Ted Turner does, and we get Turner Classic Movies from that.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:11 AM   #16
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Omigoodness. I have no idea what to expect. I don't watch the Discovery Health Networks so I s'pose it's fine by me if Oprah wants to have her own playpen. After all, Ted Turner does, and we get Turner Classic Movies from that.
The TV is something I try to avoid a lot. The mainstream networks at least.

We have the Murdoch's (News Ltd.) and the Packer's (PBL), running the 2 main commercial networks, called National Nine Network (ninemsn.com) and Network Seven (yahoo7.com) respectively, with Conrad Black of CanWest Corp tooling with the 0\10 network. Then there are a couple of public supported station networks (C31) and the original government networks the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and the Special Broadcasting Service.
Then there is all the new pay TV, cable and satellite stuff coming in.
With the Disney and the Discovery channels and all that other what not.
And with all that, we can get to see movies, and drama, and classic theatre, and opera, from all over the world. And, it's all the same old, same old.