Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #41
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

You would be thinking of My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Groups.cache.

I don't recall hearing that it causes births to result in a game crash, but it's a possibility! Rose said it's always safe to delete it, so I'll give that a try!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 PM   #42
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Don't forget to back it up first.
mikedelaney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #43
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Actually, I just add .oops to the filename until I know if it improves things or not.

Look at the bright side, Christine is still alive, even if she can't have kids!

Horrid idea... get her pregnant, then use InSim to end it?
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:50 PM   #44
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
Horrid idea... get her pregnant, then use InSim to end it?
Being careful, I remember reading somewhere in InSim,s manual about aborting a late term pregnancy.
G-day Greg. You are having problems aren't you.

(At least mine were easily fixed with the farm tractor.
Remember I said it has been a bit cold and wet over here? My landlord drives a Mack Interstate "Road Train". He's managed to get 70 Ton, of double articulated semi-trailer rig tied up like a pretzel, both times after a trip this last 2 weeks. The last time it took us 6 hours, and 2, 4 wheel drive farm tractors to get him unstuck. ooh, he's good. Can he get bogged.)

I lost a whole big bunch of MTS2 downloads the other day. Having trouble with getting things downloaded, so I decided to use MTS2's Qexpress installer. Bad move.
I found the missing downloads during a system maintainance day. In the root of the C Drive. Don't know how they got there, the game is installed to a second hard drive dedicated to program files, with game data kept in the usual My Docs\EA\etc. But also on it's own separate hard disk.
I blame Windows. It does weird stuff to itself that Linux just won't. Using the penguin system on my laptop at the moment. It's Microsoft update day again today, so the Game machine will be fragile for a day or two. Now if only we could get Sims 2, and LFS working under Linux using the wine api's. So far it sort of works, well it doesn't crash, as often, any more.
LFS is a very good racing simulator for those interested in virtual racing leagues.
Greg, the 2008 version of ShipSim should almost be released there, it is due for release here in Aussie just before my birthday, in September.
Warning, don't try to sneak between the big yellow New York Harbour, water-taxi, and the riverside wharf, in your little water-taxi, going up in rank. Big vessel to port, hard world to starboard, much damage to little water-taxi.

To ZW, don't appologise, you did not break my game. I did.
And I probably will again, just as soon as I find a new toy to play with.
You know how it goes. ( Ooh look, a new toy, Oh bugger what just happened.)

Any how, I have farm stuff to do, and I'm currently saturating my broadband with a 3.5 Gb download of system updates. New DVD ISO of Mandriva, yum.
That means a server system update this weekend. Much fun.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 AM   #45
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty943 View Post
Being careful, I remember reading somewhere in InSim,s manual about aborting a late term pregnancy.
G-day Greg. You are having problems aren't you.
Well, he got her unpregnant already. I'm saying get her pregnant again, then get her unpregnant again. Then save. Then experiment.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #46
Greg

She's already pregnant so I can make her unpregnant again fairly easily. I could also try just suspending her pregnancy and she will remain perpetually pregnant.

I can't find any notes on the Insimenator Site about aborting a late-term pregnancy.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:33 AM   #47
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty943
Having trouble with getting things downloaded, so I decided to use MTS2's Qexpress installer. Bad move.
I found the missing downloads during a system maintainance day. In the root of the C Drive. Don't know how they got there, the game is installed to a second hard drive dedicated to program files, with game data kept in the usual My Docs\EA\etc. But also on it's own separate hard disk.
I blame Windows.
Oh mygodness! I've never been a fan of "I''ll Install That For You" type programs (I hate not knowing where stuff is going on my computer) & have never used Qexpress. (Never will after hearing about your little problem!)

Blameing Windows sounds good too, though!

To Greg: just out of curiosity, have you looked over any of the InTeen support threads about your problem(s)?? Or posted for help there? The InTeen crew isn't as nasty as the MATY gang; if you are reasonabley literate in your query & attatch a copy of all your Downloads (and any error logs, if relevent) to your post you won't get skinned alive or anything. If fact they've been quite civil whenever I've had a question. Just a thought...

I've never heard of a problem with InSim (or even InTeen) & ending late-term pregnacies ethier....(Actually, I've found that deleting Sarah Crittur then retriving her with the Family Tree fixes her pending puppies to be "coded" correctly! Okay, it's off topic, but I was thrilled to solve that problem!)
Old 07-25-2007, 02:35 AM   #48
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I thought 2Jeffs had a "parentagefix" for Sarah's problem too.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 AM   #49
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Actually I belive it did...untill the officlal Pets Patch (& Seasons) came out! Then her pups when right back to being "fatherless" & all white Sarah clones.

I "fixed" one litter with SimPE so- even though the in game family tree was funky (& the pups were all mini Sarahs)- at least they were flagged to think of their daddy as their daddy. Then I had a rare "brain spark" & tried the delete/revive thing & peresto: 2 pups are brown, 1 is white & all flags/family linage were perfect!

Well, I was happy, anyway!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 PM   #50
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirconia Wolf View Post
Oh mygodness! I've never been a fan of "I''ll Install That For You" type programs (I hate not knowing where stuff is going on my computer) & have never used Qexpress. (Never will after hearing about your little problem!)

Blameing Windows sounds good too, though!

To Greg: just out of curiosity, have you looked over any of the InTeen support threads about your problem(s)?? Or posted for help there? The InTeen crew isn't as nasty as the MATY gang; if you are reasonabley literate in your query & attatch a copy of all your Downloads (and any error logs, if relevent) to your post you won't get skinned alive or anything. If fact they've been quite civil whenever I've had a question. Just a thought...

I've never heard of a problem with InSim (or even InTeen) & ending late-term pregnacies ethier....(Actually, I've found that deleting Sarah Crittur then retriving her with the Family Tree fixes her pending puppies to be "coded" correctly! Okay, it's off topic, but I was thrilled to solve that problem!)
No, I haven't asked at InTeen yet. I'm not sure that it's an InTeen problem but I s'pose it can't do much harm to ask.

How do you retrieve a sim with the Family Tree?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:29 AM   #51
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I suspect the Family Tree is a hacked object, not the graph shown in the Family Tree window?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:34 AM   #52
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
I suspect the Family Tree is a hacked object, not the graph shown in the Family Tree window?
Insimenator Family Tree, very useful.

Greg I'm pretty sure Restore Family restores to the state at the last save. If you don't want to go back that far, you'd probably have to use the Summoner to bring them to the lot then use Add To Household on the Family Tree. Then you might have to reestablish family ties, which I've noticed doesn't seem to have a Siblings option in the OBJ version.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:57 AM   #53
shorty943
Banned

From ZW.

"Oh mygodness! I've never been a fan of "I''ll Install That For You" type programs (I hate not knowing where stuff is going on my computer) & have never used Qexpress. (Never will after hearing about your little problem!)

Blameing Windows sounds good too, though!"

For a mass download and installation of needed files, it used to be good. Just click away then click install. Apart from the fact everything was just dumped into the games download folder.
But, somehow or other, a C:\Downloads folder had been created and even my browser "Seamonkey and Firefox" had downloaded to it. It might have been an update from Mozilla, or a recent Winslows update, fixed now.

Honestly, if I could run the 2 games I play, under Linux, that would be the end of MS for me. Even my ISP prefers Linux. (internode.on.net) South Australian company, just got to support the local bloke, don't you know.

But, at the moment, I have a problem somewhere in the big mass of files related to bodyshop. There are some new meshes or skins or clothing that just locks the whole computer up in the ingame CAS. Not even the good old three finger salute of Ctrl-Alt-Del, got out of the locked screen. Only the last drastic resort of the reset button fixed that last night. Oh goody, conflict resolution. Roll the sleeves up, and dive in the deep end again.
See ya!
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:07 AM   #54
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Woops! Sorry!

Yes, I was talking about the InSim Family Tree!

For (the Riverblossom Hills) Sarah Crittur, I actually used the moveobjects on cheat & deleted her outright, then fired up the InSim Family Tree & followed the Restore To Family menu to retrive her.

For whatever reason, she kept her "pregnancy" bit, but it reset itself so that Danny was really the father like he's suposed to be. (As I said, I "faked it" with SimPE so the Pleasantview pups had the right relationship flags, but this is a better solution... for me anyway!)

I was actually hoping to end her pregnancy outright (since it was originally so screwed that even InSim's mighty Reproduction Adjuster couldn't touch it) but was tickled with the results none the less. In hindsight I'm thinking that using the Deleter would have most likey worked too, but I was desprate & flashed on the old Sims 1 "refreshing" trick.

Hey, any solution that doesn't end in a BFBVFS is a-okay with me!!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #55
Greg

Aha! The theory that a sim who was pregnant when I installed Nightlife and Open For Business is proven false.

First I tested it by going back to Happy Valley to look for a likely victim. Amelia (Pardihardi) Eausaedi was willing enough to give it a try. Result:

Amelia had a normal birth.

Amelia had been pregnant for more than two years in the real world, even before I installed University.

And look who was on hand for the blessed event!

They had a celebrity visitor that day.

So it looks like all the paragons of the preggo party will be OK. To further test it, I went back to N008 Xanadu and checked in at the Xanadu College of the Performing Arts. There, I found Miss Jane Tanner was an hour a way from deployment of her payload.

Again, I just let the game run until the big moment. Result:

Jane Tanner and her baby Jackson.

Now I know that it is possible for a co-ed to give birth while on campus. Jane is a Freshman majoring in Biology, living in her own house. Now she'll need to find a roommate to help care for her baby or she'll never make it to her exams!

The birth was attended by the Primary Guilty Party and Jackson even came with his own cheerleader!

Jane, Jackson, YouKnowWho, and cheerleader Barbie Benson
I kid you not.

That still leaves open the mystery of why the game crashes every time Christine Tan and (whoever that other one was) try to give birth. I'm pretty sure that Christine was on campus when she got pregnant and didn't have her baby until she graduated and moved back to town. I still need to snoop all the college photo albums to see if I can figure out where she came from. She might be a converted NPC.

There are several other baby bombs in and around Xanadu so I'll go through them all and try to kee notes. I just might be able to sleuth this thing and figure out at least what circumstances lead to the crash.

I tried changing Christine to a teen and back again. All I got for that was having her get a memory of never having gone to college. I edited that out with SimPE, hoping that saving the sim again would fix the character file. No luck. Christine Tan still crashes the game when she tries to give birth.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #56
Miros1
Goddess for Life

So the PGP is up to 44 now? Has Christine tried making a baby with someone else?

Silly question... do you have an Error Log in the logs folder with a date close to one of those crashes?

Quote:
The birth was attended by the Primary Guilty Party and Jackson even came with his own cheerleader!
Naturally, there'd be a cheerleader at the birth. There's usually one cheering when people are WooHooing on campus, so why shouldn't they appear at the results of said WooHoo?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #57
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

On the subject of Error Logs; are the ones in the Log folder the very same ones that you see when you use the testingcheat thingy in-game to create an error report?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #58
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Yes. You should also get one for each crash, as well as for each error dialog you get while in debug mode.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #59
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Okay, that's good to know! (I'm still squiemish about the whole "forcing errors" in-game thing!)

Since 99.9% of my errors (including the only 2 crashouts I've ever had) are friggen audio ones, I've never really delved too deeply into the ins & outs of "testingcheats" & such. I've never even seen any info about correcting audio errors....hmmm, maybe I just need a better sound card??

*** REALLY STUPID QUESTION ALERT!!! ***

How the heck do you know if you are in DeBug mode & why (or why not) would you ever want to be?? (One of the options on the Lot DeBugger always seems to be to turn off DeBug Mode, which as far as I know I never turned on! I'm hoping it's just a symantics glitch...)

*** REALLY STUPID QUESTION IS OVER. PLEASE CONTINUE THREAD AS USUAL. ***
Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #60
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirconia Wolf View Post
Since 99.9% of my errors (including the only 2 crashouts I've ever had) are friggen audio ones
Given the 8.7 GB the main installation of the game takes up on my hard drive (plus \My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 and \My Documents\EA Games\Backup-The Sims 2 which bring it up to nearly 20 GB), not to mention the 2 DVDs of backed up downloads, I'd love to know how anything is missing at all.