Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #21
Crystal
Addicted Anjafan

Hey what county are you in? They are talking about Brazoria County and Galveston County. Are in one of those?
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #22
Crystal
Addicted Anjafan

I found you on the map!! Your not in either of those counties your in Harris County. The people on the Weather Channel are being very dramatic about everything so much that I can't make myself believe them any more. They keep trying to make this hurricane sound like hurricane Carla that wiped out Galveston 100 years ago.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #23
pompkyn
Herald of the Dawn

Wow Greg! I just saw the videos for Ike...hope you fare the storm well without too much damage. Be safe.

Sharon
pompkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:14 AM   #24
homerette
Day late & a dollar short

Be safe Greg!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #25
Crystal
Addicted Anjafan

I have not seen him online since yesterday afternoon so he must be going to his sister's house in San Antonio. Maybe he will get online there.

I found out I can hotlink this picture of computer models that shows where the computers say Ike could go. Its from http://www.wunderground.com/

You can see where South Padre Island is too. At first I thought they would get Ike but Ike turned north because he wanted to visit Greg and then he's going to go all the way across to visit ME!

Greg does not like people to hotlink images without permission but I think he will forgive me. I think if Weather Underground didn't like it they could block it and I linked to their site. Its real cool. There are lots of things you can play with.

I like the WunderMap It mixes weather with Google Maps.

You can see Galveston Bay the big bay close to Louisiana and his house is real close to it on the west side in the middle.

As I wrote this post I did Preview Post and the map changed and the lines moved west. That's not good because the right side of the storm is the dirty side.

I'm going to sit and think about now.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #26
homerette
Day late & a dollar short

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Greg and everybody else in the path of that sucker. Thanks for sharing that pic, Crystal.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #27
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

We're fine!

I'm checking on from my sister's computer in San Antonio. It took us a while to get organized and on the road but with steady application of 14 legs and 8 wheels (that would be 2 cars, 3 humans, and 2 dogs) and a bit of determination, we got here! Traffic was heavier than normal on the highways but moving right along. I don't think it took us much longer to get here than it would have on a normal weekend.

We've been listening to the news, and even though it is terribly over-dramatized on all the media, this is a very scary storm. It's not the top wind speed (which is all the category is based on); it's the sheer size of the monster that its slow speed. That means it has lots of time to stir up lots of mischief, such as relocating large bodies of water several miles inland.

Although Ike won't make landfall for another 10 hours or so, Kemah, the community on Galveston Bay immediately south of us, is already flooding from the storm surge.

So now we hunker down and wait, and hope we don't see our house on the national news!

Crystal, no problem with that storm track picture. I think you're right; if the Weather Underground didn't want people to hotlink the pictures, they could easily block it.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:21 AM   #28
Crystal
Addicted Anjafan

Yay!!!!

Thank you for telling us Greg!! The news is scary!!

They're saying that the storm is going up through Chicago and Buffalo now so we might not see much of it but Miros might.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:16 AM   #29
Greg

Yeah, I saw that on the Weather Channel. The storm is so big that you're might see bits of it even if the storm system is breaking up by then, but western New York will get any real entertainment that's left in this storm. It will probably just be isolated thunderstorms by then.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #30
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Did the dogs navigate?
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #31
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

I actually got sent home from work early. Well, it was a suggestion, actually. The boss was worried that I'd get stuck on the way home because of a downed tree or something. Turns out it's not as bad as we thought it would be here in NE/Central LA but better that I went home and it's not serious than stay out and it tops out its wind speed (they were forecasting 85mph gusts for this morning).
Kaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #32
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

(ZW is very glad that she lives in the NW. Of course, this means she should be worried about Volcanoes & Earthquakes...but oh well...)

Just wanted to post a "hope you are safe" wish for all of you who have to contend with Gustav & his pals.

I do hope you guys get through all unscathed!

-ZW
Old 09-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #33
Coco
Loving Life!

The Weather Channel tried to make a big deal out of the storm surge but they are only talking about right on the coast and don't have much video to show for even that. If the damage area was farther in they would be showing it, and they are not.

Proud member of the Western Pennsylvania Chili & Literary Society
Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #34
Greg

Yup. I'm disappointed in the Weather Channel. They aren't interested in reporting news (like whether neighborhoods got flooded or are without power, how long it will be before power is restorned, or even where to call to find out if your home made it through the storm). Instead, they just want drama. The same goes for all the news channels. It would just be too boring to report something useful.

So all we're left with is the assumption that no news is good news.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #35
kimmyfrmtx
Rising Sun

Glad to hear everyone is safe. I evacuated here to family in the Dallas area, now waiting for Tropical Storm Ike to move through.

The weather channel was making me mad, they are so annoying and I am so sick of looking at the side of that building.

I found this link to keep an eye on all the Houston stations, at least they are trying to check various neighborhoods around the area.

http://www.flashgames-ny.com/live-Hurricane-lke.html

Hope everyone is safe and we can all go home soon.
kimmyfrmtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:08 AM   #36
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I'm so glad to hear from you, Kimmy! Odessa and I were worried about you!

Greg, if you call your house and get the answering machine, that tells you a) your house is there b) it has phone and electricity!
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:23 AM   #37
Odessa
Miros Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyfrmtx View Post
Glad to hear everyone is safe. I evacuated here to family in the Dallas area, now waiting for Tropical Storm Ike to move through.

The weather channel was making me mad, they are so annoying and I am so sick of looking at the side of that building.

I found this link to keep an eye on all the Houston stations, at least they are trying to check various neighborhoods around the area.

http://www.flashgames-ny.com/live-Hurricane-lke.html

Hope everyone is safe and we can all go home soon.
YAY! *hugs* I'm so glad to see you're safe. I've been waiting to hear word all day. Jake is still waiting to hear back from his aunt and uncle, who live in Bacliff, and his parents.
Odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #38
Greg

That flashgames-ny site is awesome, Kimmy! Gosh, I'm glad you checked in!

Yeah, the local newscasters are doing a better job of it. The building that the Weather Channel is so obsessed with is the Hilton on NASA Road One down near where Space Center Blvd runs into Clear Lake. But do you think they could just take five seconds and turn the camera around to see what JSC looks like?

Rose, that's an excellent idea. We used to do that answering machine trick. This time, though, we turned off the main breakers to the house before we left, just in case. We also have one of those answering machine services where the answering machine is not in the house. We were talking about how we could fix that, but any solution would require leaving the power on.

I think we will be able to call the El Lago Emergency Management Coordinator, or even the local police, and find out about the status of power and damage to the houses we are most worried about. It's not a very large city (just 1 square mile) so folks are pretty friendly in those parts.

Odessa, that's worrisome. I hope to goodness they didn't decide to ride this one out. I'm sure you know they had flooding in Kemah and Seabrook on the east side of highway 146. I'm guessing that since they haven't said beans about west side of 146, that means those areas were all right. The storm surge was no where near the worst-case predictions.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:07 AM   #39
Greg

Footnote: The area that the Weather Channel is calling "Clear Lake, TX" is actually Nassau Bay, which is on a very shallow lake named Clear Lake.

The area north and east of the Johnson Space Center is called Clear Lake and might have become a city of its own, but they ditherered around until eventually Houston annexed them.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #40
pompkyn
Herald of the Dawn

Glad to see that you all are safe! The storms surge pics of Galveston look pretty bad.
pompkyn is offline   Reply With Quote