Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2007, 02:12 AM   #61
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Actually, I'd rather talk about my new job here because my day job really doesn't fit over there.

The whole process is rather an interesting story. In April I learned that NASA was not going to continue the task I was working on, so I started searching for a new job then. After a bit of introspection, I made a list of the top five characteristics that I wanted in a job: (1) in Houston, (2) at the Johnson Space Center, (3) working for a major aerospace contractor, (4) working in America's space programs and preferably the Constellation program, (5) working on mechanical systems and preferably EVA or crew systems, not necessarily in order of priority.

There were lots of other features that would make a job more attractive. I rather enjoy being in a leadership role but I'd like to dodge the management bullet if I could; managers have the broader view but they don't get to play with the toys much and they have a mountain of administrivia to deal with. Having a great boss is always a top consideration, as is the rest of the management chain all the way to the top. If I couldn't get into aerospace, well, I've long been fascinated by the oil industry, especially upstream marine systems. Heck, failing all that, maybe I would consider being a history teacher.

The past few months have involved looking through at least 1000 job descriptions and submitting my resume for about 100 of them. Each one is a story all by itself, but I'll just touch on the most amusing ones.

In April I thought I had a job working in the Robotics group on the Engineering & Sciences Contract. It fit many of the criteria, though it would have been with Jacobs Technology* instead of one of the big boys and didn't get the extra half star for EVA or crew systems. Then that one started dragging on, waiting for the hiring manager to make a decision. I was expecting a formal offer any moment when a fellow who had been working on those specific robotic systems applied and the job got shot out from under me; or so that was the story.

Then there was another job on the ESC, a solid 3.5 stars, system engineering on EVA for the Constellation program, emphasis on lunar EVA requirements, where I would count among the world's leading experts.** Great boss, among the best, but the management chain gets weaker toward the top. I really, really wanted that job; working EVA on the Constellation program gets a lot of weight in my mind. The hiring manager wanted me. The other guys in the group wanted me. (Some of them had worked for me before.) NASA really, really wanted me. The requisition was all signed off but at the last minute it was blocked by a fellow in an acting senior management position who would lose face if I got hired and did a good job. I'm sure that sounds as insane to you as it did to the NASA customers who wanted me in that job, but that's the way office politics works in companies that can't control it.

And another, which is actually still open. This one is working in space station biomedical systems for Wyle Laboratories, a really solid company that well deserves the prestige it enjoys in America's space program. In the area of crew and biomedical systems, when Wyle speaks, NASA listens; and wisely so. Again, great boss, this time backed up by a solid chain of management. Almost certain to end up working in the Constellation program. It's a job I would really enjoy. I expected to hear for sure from them last week but I'm rather glad I didn't because of what happened next.

As it turns out, about an hour before I heard about the demise of the job in EVA system engineering, Lockheed Martin called. Now, any position at Lockheed Martin would speak to me with a loud voice--just about everything the company does is beyond fascinating--but this was as good as it gets. They didn't putz around. I had an interview within a few days and an offer (which I enthusiastically accepted) just a week later. That was yesterday.

So here we are. If all goes according to plan, I just need to wait for them to get done with the background-checking administrivia and I'll get to go to work for Lockheed Martin, at JSC in Houston, in the EVA & Crew Systems group, as lead engineer on Orion EVA systems.

----------
*Decidedly not a major aerospace contractor. To the best of my knowledge, the Engineering & Sciences Contract is their first venture into the industry.
**I was manager for EVA integration on the space station program and am the founder of the Artemis Project and the Moon Society. My crimes against normalcy are legion.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:27 AM   #62
Greg

Hmm... maybe I should also mention that Orion is the crew exploration vehicle in NASA's Constellation program and Lockheed Martin is the prime contractor.

Image: NASA
Old 09-01-2007, 04:05 AM   #63
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

That sounds so you! Congratulations.

Of course now you wont be able to tell us much of anything due to the NDA.
mikedelaney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:32 AM   #64
Greg

I'll keep confidential things that need to be confidential just as I always do, but NASA's programs are very open, so there might be some interesting tales to tell. On the other hand, you already know that I'm not one to generate fodder the scandal sheets. CNN does a fine job of making up their own drama without my help!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #65
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Lol, just keep us informed, so I don't have to copy and paste from InSimAdult!

(Wondered why you were telling them, and not a peep here!)

But you didn't answer this one:
Quote:
Then why do they keep sweeping the dust off the solar panels on the rovers?

Last edited by Miros1 : 09-01-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #66
yuppiesim
Rising Sun

Congrats Greg! I'm glad everything worked out for you.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #67
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Oh I wouldn't be interested in scandals, nor top secret stuff. But I'd sure be interested in space/lunar progress reports, and the odd technical tidbit when permitted.
mikedelaney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #68
Sita
Solar Max

Default Congratulations!

That's great news. Well done.

Sita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #69
Greg

Thanks, Yuppie and Sita! I have a friend who kept telling me, "Sooner or later, the universe will give you a break!" It looks like the universe decided I had earned a really big break!

No worries, Mike. The Constellation program is not classified so folks working on it can talk about their work fairly freely. Propriety is a greater concern than proprietary. I've been looking for information on it on the public web and it seems to be pretty sparse; but then, the program is just getting started. Heck, NASA awarded the contract to build the Ares I upper stage just this week.

As for the EVA project, I do know that the requirements are not fully defined. The scenario for EVA changes depending on the mission. Orion will be used to transport crew to and from the ISS as well as to the moon. The EVA scenarios are different. If it's going to the ISS, Orion doesn't really need EVA capability because it can the space station's resources. Going to the moon is rather a different issue.

It must be time to dust off this old plaque!
Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #70
shorty943
Banned

Sounds good Greg. Very best of luck with the administrivia.

We'll look forward to progress reports on the mission.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #71
Greg

That's the good part, Shorty. At least for now, I dodge the management bullet, so I get to play with the toys.

That has long been my difficulty when applying for a job. I have a lot of fancy titles so I have to convince people that I don't seek those positions; I end up doing them because I'm good at it.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #72
shorty943
Banned

Don't you just hate that. Just because we have lots of letters after our names, they always assume we don't like getting our hands dirty.

Give me any engine room over any board room any old day.

So, the job is a "cert" then? A certainty?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #73
Miros1
Goddess for Life

It sounds like it, unless they decide that hanging out with Simmers is a security risk.

You know, Anja just might be smuggling top secret documents in her virtual bra!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #74
Greg

Yup, as certain as anything. Once they have made a formal offer something really weird would have to happen to stop it. I suppose I might fail the drug test (never used drugs) or the background test (never committed any crimes) or the government could cancel the contract (not likely). Or I could die. (Who knows?) Those are the only plausible show-stoppers I can think of.

Nevertheless, I've had such an adventure just getting to this point that I'm really paranoid. Silly me.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #75
shorty943
Banned

Point 1 = clean.

Point 2 = clean.

(checking Greg for life signs. Hm, all in the green).

Point 3 = clean, as a government contract can be.
(This is the flagship. This is the new cold war. This is the sixties space race all over again, but this time, we are all in the same team pits).

Point 4 = Hmm, we could ask the Goddess. But, I think she and the "big fella", keep pretty mum about that sort of thing.

I hope it all goes well for you Greg.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #76
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Stay away from the poppyseed bagels and the Advil! Both can produce false positives (opiates and Darvocet).
Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #77
Greg

Right. No poppy seeds, no Advil. Got it.

As long as caffeine and chocolate don't make it to the controlled substance list, I should be good to go!

Last edited by Greg : 09-07-2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: conjunctive propositions
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #78
shorty943
Banned

As long as you're not going for sporting gold, I think you're in the clear.

By the way, I think we've hijacked your NASA thread.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #79
Greg

Yeah, that one didn't last too long; but then, it was a survey of very small audience.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #80
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Yeah, that one didn't last too long; but then, it was a survey of very small audience.

I have noticed that.
Select little group aren't we.