Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Default Solar Eclipses

Have you ever seen a solar eclipse?

I blundered across a really neat site about solar eclipses and got to thinking. If you watch enough movies, you would get the impression that solar eclipses are very common in human experience; however, I'm guessing that the vast majority of people have never had the opportunity to see one.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I've seen two lunar eclipses, but not a solar one.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Hokieman
Solar Max

I can remember seeing one when I was in grade school, some 40+ years ago, although I seem to remember that there have been others since.
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
Greg

Total Solar Eclipse of February 26, 1979

If you were in the United States and it was a total solar eclipse, that might have been February 26, 1979. That was the one I saw, which isn't surprising since it's the last total solar eclipse visible from the continental United States until August 21, 2017!

The 1979 eclipse was a fun adventure. I was living in Seattle at the time. A buddy of mine borrowed a small motorhome from his parents and we packed into it along with my girlfriend and some other folks, and drove down to the stonehenge replica at Maryhill, Washington.

Stonehenge at Maryhill, Washingon

A railroad tycoon named Sam Hill chose that site to build his stonehenge because it would be in the path of totality of that particular eclipse. We got there the night before and parked near Stonehenge. That was a good thing because by the next morning, cars were parked along the side of the road for miles!

The eclipse itself was awesome, but even better were the shadowbands that appear just before an after it as light is refracted between cracks in the visible limb of the moon. It's like a fish scale pattern dancing on the ground. If you are ever lucky enough to see a total solar eclipse, don't forget to look down, too!

Total Solar Eclipse of August 21, 2017

If you live in the continental United States, don't miss it! Unless you are wealthy enough to fly around the world to see one, this may be the only chance you will ever have to see a total solar eclipse!

Solar eclipses happen twice a year, but for most of them, the sun's shadow misses the Earth completely. I don't know how often a total solar eclipse is visible from a single arbitrary point on Earth but I suspect that the duration is measured in thousands and thousands of years, so don't wait for one to come to your home town.

Total solar eclipse on August 21, 2017

This image shows the path of totality (the moving dot) and also the shadow of the sun as it moves across the face of the Earth. Totality will be visible a little bit north and south of the path of the dot.

Outside that area, but within the shadow, people will be able to see a partial eclipse, but don't be content with a partial eclipse when just a few hours on the road will put you in the path of totality. The difference between a partial eclipse--even 99% totality--and a total eclipse is quite literally the difference between night and day. And the difference between looking at pictures versus actually being there defies description!

Total Solar Eclipse of April 8, 2024

Once you're hooked by seeing the one in 2017, you'll no doubt immediately start making plans to see the next one on April 8, 2024.

Interestingly, the path of the 2024 eclipse will pass at right angles to the 2017 eclipse, so somewhere in the central United States there will be a spot that is treated to two total solar eclipses in just 7 years.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
Greg

Hmm... I was snooping around the list of solar eclipses on the Wikipedia. It says here that there was a total solar eclipse visible from the southeastern United States on March 7, 1970. That would have been about 40 years ago.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:13 AM   #6
Greg

Solar Eclipse Crossroads in the Early 21st Century

Aha! I have found it! Look at this:

Solar eclipse paths over the continetal U.S. 2001-2040
Ref: NASA World Atlas of Solar Eclipse Paths

I took NASA's solar eclipse path maps for 2001-2020 and 2021-2040 and superimposed them to capture the whole 40-year cycle.

It looks like the Crossroads of Totality for the next two U.S. eclipses will be in southern Illinois and eastern Missouri, just south of St. Louis.

Sorry, Sita. There will be no solar eclipses visible from the UK before 2040.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

I remember seeing a solar eclipse when I was in 9th grade (about 1993-1994). I don't think it was total in our area, but we did go out in my science class with some blank film negative strips to look through to see it. I remember with the brightness it seemed like it should have been cloudy, but it was clear. About half the sun was covered, maybe a little more. This was in NW Louisiana, where I still live.

Now that I work night shifts driving locally, I have more opportunities to see lunar eclipses, which always fascinate me.
Kaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Greg

There was an annular eclipse on May 10, 1994 that swept across the central and northern United States. During an annular eclipse, the moon is too far away from Earth to completely block the sun's photosphere so it never gets to totality.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

That probably was it, then. Seems like I remember it being late in the school year, in springtime, so you're probably right.
Kaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
Greg

From northern Louisiana, it probably would have looked something like this.

Partial Eclipse, sort of