Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Default Free Time EP Info

Well, my pre-ordered Free Time guide arrived the other day (no, I did NOT pre-order the game!) so I have been browsing through to see what the last Sims 2 EP promises to bring to the table....besides SecuROM! (Just wait a day or 2 after the release date & there will be a nice SecuROM free exe out anyway...)

Long story short, I want this EP.

I mean, I reeeeeaaaaallllyyyyyyyyy want this EP!

It's almost a total game overhaul. The biggest problem I foresee (aside from the usual Maxis bugs) is that- as many of these new changes effect some hard wired Sim behavior- many of the best/favorite hacks & mods may be difficult (if not impossible) to be made Free Time compatible.

Instead of my usual ramblings, I'll just list some of the changes:

-You can create your own custom radio stations for your Sims to enjoy.
-When a child, teen or adult Sim ages, you can select up to 3 other Sims (Townies/Downtownies) to age with them so they don't lose their loves/friends.
-There is a new relationship state, "Best Friends Forever"
-You can jump to any lot in any Hood (base or sub) as well as add sub hoods to a base hood from any lot
-Sims now have a Lifetime Aspiration Meter & can earn Lifetime Aspiration Points
-Sims can now have 2 aspirations, Primary & Secondary! So a Romance Sim could be given Knowledge as their secondary aspiration, making them not so single minded
-The new Lifetime Aspiration Points can be spent on "perks" related to a Sim's Primary/Secondary aspiration and/or Needs & Work perks
-Sims can build Enthusiasm in 10 different Hobbies
-Every Hobby has a Hobby "Leader" & a secret clubhouse
-Every Sim has a hidden "Predestined Hobby" that they will excel faster in
-The Genie is back (I liked him!) for some wish granting fun
-Sims can now watch movies on their TVs
-Two new talent badges (Sewing & Pottery) are added
-Five new careers: Architecture, Dance, Entertainment, Intelligence & Oceanography are available
-Sims can learn to sew not only any item in the clothing catalog (for cheaper than you can normally buy them) but can eventually make new custom outfits!!!
-Toddlers can now learn a nursery rymye
-Toddlers & children can draw pictures you can hang on the walls
-Teens & older Sims can study the Parenting skill & learn to tell what a baby's most pressing need is just by picking them up

The list goes on & on.

Now, if I could just get time to play my game so I could get back to my Seasons install...
Old 02-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
David
Former ghost

Sounds a lot better than what was presented in the trailer
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
homerette
Day late & a dollar short

Very enticing features there. Perhaps a bit too enticing if you get my meaning. I must look for the rain behind every silver lining!
Old 02-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

It does sound like a vast improvement in the game!

Sadly, like Homerette, I fear that additional bugs and unwanted features will spoil the show.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Hokieman
Solar Max

Hummmm - the genie is back you say?? Maybe there IS hope that magic will come back too but I'm not holding my breath.

Agree on the bugs - once you get used to dealing with one set they just gotta go and throw a whole new bunch at you. Let's see how long it takes them to get the 1st patch out - bets anyone??
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
Greg

I suspect that the changes to the character files will mean that just about every hack will have to be updated, too.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:49 AM   #7
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Yeah, the whole "bug thing" is why I'm gonna be smart this time & not buy the darn thing until it's been out at least 2 months. I figure by then I'll know the skinny on bugs, hack conflicts & be close to an official patch release.

Yes, there is a lot more under Free Time's hood than the trailers hinted at!

Another very cool feature is that Sims can build their enthusiasm for the different hobbies both actively- by doing certain in-game interactions- and passively, just by being in the same room with another Sim who is engaging actively in a hobby activity. As the guide explains, this was done to simulate the effect of children "absorbing" a like/respect for the hobbies/activities that their parents/family members are frequently engaged in. So a child raised by Arts & Crafts type parents will be a "quicker study" in the Arts & Crafts hobby than their friend who's parents are more into the Tinkering gig. You know....kinda like...gasp...real life! (Every once in a while Maxis does manage to pull off a non-sociopathic behavior code!)

Also on the "kinda like life" front is a revamped system for more age appropriate behavior. For example adult Sims won't be drawn to swing sets like moths to a flame & children won't run around cleaning toilets for fun.

Oh yes, Sims are now more aware of their family ties. So if the parents start fighting children will flee from the room crying (instead of cheering for one of them) & after the tussle the parents will actually go & console their distraught offspring!!!

The "write a novel" interaction has also been overhauled to let you pick a name, a cover/type (romance, children, sci-fi, etc.) & customize the series of "thought icons" that a Sim will think when reading your custom story!

On the magic front, I too hold onto a secret hope that Maxis will release one last (magic oriented) EP....or even just an SP?? I see the next SP to be announced is a Kitchen/Bath pack though. * sigh *

As to "magic" in Free Time, the only 2 things I came across are the Genie (who's lamp is randomly dropped off by the Gypsy Matchmaker) & an "Aspiration Perk" for the Grilled Cheese Sims to let them conjure a grilled cheese sandwich out of the air.

The restorable car (who's final paint color you can choose) is also a very awesome looking feature!

Think I'll go back & read some more...
Old 02-25-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
Greg

Golly! It sounds so promising! I wish EA hadn't scared me away from their products.

Now I'm wondering what it would take to regain my trust as a customer.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 AM   #9
Hokieman
Solar Max

I'll go ahead and buy it this week - due to the competition between the big electronics stores, I'll be able to get it cheaper than if I wait. I just won't install it until Insim & CEP, at least, are updated and hopefully Inteen. I keep so few other hacks in, I've had very few problems when I add new expansion packs.
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Now I'm wondering what it would take to regain my trust as a customer.
For starters, how 'bout an apology for (& promise to never again use) SecuROM?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokieman
I just won't install it until Insim & CEP, at least, are updated and hopefully Inteen.
Yeah, those are my "Top 3 Mods" too!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Greg

Yup, that would go a long way toward regaining my trust!

Of course it will never happen. I can't imagine EA ever admitting to wrong-doing.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

My Gamestop-employed fiance reserved this a couple of weeks ago and bought it for me the other day. I've decided to install it, but first I have to get ALL the families for my story created, as once I install it, I won't be able to use SimPE (until they update it). It'll take a while because I have to not only clone/recreate the physical appearances of every single ancestor and currently living member of the premade families, I have to go in and pull their personalities and DNA, and in the case of the living Sims, their memories (which can be pulled from in game, so not actually that urgent at the moment). Then I get to install the game (along with a No-CD crack, both to circumvent SecureROM and because my CD drive is temperamental) and have fun!
Kaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
Greg

Why do you have to have to duplicate all the characters?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #14
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Because she's doing the backstory for all the Maxis families, all about their parents and such.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
Greg

Oh, I get it! And installing the new version of the game will mess up those characters.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #16
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

It won't mess up the characters, it will interfere with my access to SimPE to get the info (and reference pictures) I need to reconstruct the families I haven't gotten to yet. Since I've barely scratched the surface, I have a lot of work ahead of me.
Kaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #17
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Actually, you can use an outdated SimPE to look at things. Just don't change anything or save.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #18
Greg

Hmm... that's betting on SimPE being able to look at the stuff. I'm certain that it won't mess things up if you just look but I'm not so sure that SimPE will be able to make sense of files that have a different format.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #19
Miros1
Goddess for Life

They don't radically change the base format, just add to it. If you editted a character and saved the changes, you might lose or corrupt the stuff that's specific to the new EP. If you just look at something, the old data would still be there and the new data would come up as an "Unknown" resource, or just be ignored.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #20
Greg

What I was thinking was that their past behavior might not be true for the net expansion pack.