Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #81
Hokieman
Solar Max

Oh ye of little faith.

I'm glad it worked. Actually, the only thing that could have messed you up was if the outlook.pst file had gotten corrupted somehow. There are viruses out there that will do that in addition to the hardware issues.

If you haven't used personal folders in outlook before, the 1st time is the scariest. Also, if you ever update to a new version of outlook, sometimes the main outlook.pst can be overwritten so using personal folders and putting them in a non default directory will ensure that your email doesn't disappear. You just have to remember to move the messages out of the inbox or any sub folders you've created under the inbox to your personal folders and they will be safe. On an upgrade you will lose the links to the personal folders but all you have to do is set them up again and you're back in business.
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #82
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

After I installed the old mail, I copied all the stuff I wanted to keep over to the new Outlook's Personal Folders.

Then somehow I got rid of the duplicate. I think when I emptied out the last of the old folders, Outlook automagically deleted it.

So, today I tried installing WinZip and using my old license. Nope. Dang it; that's another thirty bucks down the drain.

Last edited by Greg : 04-16-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #83
Hokieman
Solar Max

That's different. I've always had to delete them manually.

Do you have a current winrar? That'll handle just about any kind of compressed file out there including zips. You don't need both. I like it better than winzip (which I don't even have loaded on my machine anymore).
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:34 AM   #84
Greg

Oops. It's an old question but here's the answer: No, I don't have WinRAR installed. WinZip can handle RAR files just fine.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #85
rdanner3
Herald of the Dawn

LOL I use 7Zip, which can read (and write) ZIP and 7Z, and read a bajillion other compressed formats. The few that it can't, I drag out something else. What's crazy is that some of these programs can also read ISO files, and that's a bit confusing, since most of them can't create ISOs. (which is a bit annoying.)

7Z format is (usually) a good bit tighter than even RAR, and since 7Z is (IIRC) Open-Source, well... it's free.

(sorry for the bump... I'm scanning through SunSims to see if anyone needs help with something I can assist with.)
rdanner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #86
Greg

I don't think I have ever run across an ISO file. Is that yet another proprietary compression scheme that someone claims squishes files even smaller than someone else's proprietary compression format?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #87
rdanner3
Herald of the Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
I don't think I have ever run across an ISO file. Is that yet another proprietary compression scheme that someone claims squishes files even smaller than someone else's proprietary compression format?
Nope. It's an industry-standard CD-image file. (I usually mount these using something like Daemon Tools or VirtualDrive Pro 11.5 to save wear and tear on my DVD drive.)

One thing that I wish would happen (that isn't likely!) is that folks, if they really want a CD image to be on the 'Net, standardize by using the ISO format. Why? It's readable by all known CD and DVD writing software, and there's no known advantage (because none of them use standardized compression) to using proprietary formats like NRG (Nero) or BIN/CUE (which is created as a pair by a program I can't recall the name of; the BIN is the CD or DVD image, the CUE is an index file)

Having to go hunting on the 'Net for something to convert yet another weird CD-image format to something I can use is not an effective use of my time. It's bad enough that (too many) OEMs have now started only putting the recovery DVD image (or images, as in the case of my laptop!) on the HD! At least the program that creates the burnable version of the thing uses ISO. Otherwise, I'd be rather annoyed at best.
rdanner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #88
Greg

Well, at least that 'splains why I have never noticed it before!