Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #21
Miros1
Goddess for Life

The hyenas should remember the bad old days when the official tech support people said remove all your hacks and reinstall... I suspect that's still the party line, but I can't deal with the stupidity on the BBS anymore.

I don't have BV, but I run with testingcheatsenabled on all the time and no problems.

I've heard that BV is a pig, but then you hear that about every EP.

I do have a hack I got somewhere that makes the ladybugs and the bugs that infest your plants invisible, so you get a speed up that way. Wouldn't help on empty lots tho. (My laggy lots were fixed by a video driver update, btw.)
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #22
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Oh, I'm sure Bon Voyage is a pig. Every expansion pack is, but based on what I've heard about it here, they've added lots more global code in Bon Voyage. And more objects. And options. And lots. An no doubt clothing. Global code is problably the biggest one because it has to try to execute during every simulation frame.

I don't think I use the Testing Cheats too often. For each session where I play the game, I make a point of only turn on the Testing Cheats once. In my startup file. And never turn them off.

Lesson learned: Do not believe horror stories about the Testing Cheats.

I have encountered only one problem with having the Testing Cheats running all the time. Once every few months, the game will hit an error loop that just won't quit. In that case, I have to turn them off and let the game find its own way out of the problem.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #23
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Yeah, I think Jase said something like 81K lines of global code... sheesh!

I turn on testingcheatsenabled in my startup file too...
Old 09-09-2007, 05:35 AM   #24
Greg

So that's two data points about the Testing Cheats indicating there's no reason to fear them other than the possibility that you might do something stupid with them. Make it three if you count Danny, DMA Sims. He was the one who twigged me to the Testing Cheats and startup files in the first place, so long ago.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #25
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I started turning them on because the people at the bad place told me they needed an error log to help me with my problems...
Old 09-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #26
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Okay, I'll finally breakdown & ask:

Why is everyone but me so enamoured with having the "testingcheat" continuously running in their game??????

Seriously; what's the advantage??? I don't really need to be alerted to every little audio or graphic "hiccup" in my game (I can just checkout the Log Files if I'm curious) & there is nothing "teastingcheat" can do (that I care about) that I can't do quicker with InSim or another mod.

I use HDCU fanatically & already know about the "non-conflicting-conflicts" amoung my various mods, so what's the point of leaving that crazy testingcheat running all the time?

As to Kaylyn's querry: I've read a few (conflicting) reports about BV & lag time. Some people got good results by just turning off shadows, others say it still doesn't help...& still others have had no problems whatsoever.

I'm kinda wondering if it's a Vista problem?? I do know (from talking to several PC builders) that- when it comes to being a "pig"- Vista is the king, queen & whole royal family. I'm actually suprised it gave you decent results in Seaons with only 2 gigs of RAM; all the techs I talked to say it needs at least 3 gigs to equal 2 gigs of performance on XP.

I am (hopefully) getting close to installing BV soon & will- of course- be posting my findings. I have a custom built Dual Core (XP) with a 298 (or so) GB hard drive, nVidia e-GeForce 7600 graphics card & 3 gigs of RAM...so I'm hopefull I won't have any lag problems....nock on wood!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #27
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Because the actually ObjectError_N001_t(weirdnumber).txt files don't get generated unless you've got it turned on.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #28
Greg

I have a simple answer to the complex question of why I have the Testing Cheats running all the time: I'm used to it.

And, of course, a much more complex answer to the simple question:

At the same time, I have no real incentive to turn them off. Alerts about hiccups in my game are extremely rare, perhaps because early on I noted the offending objects and removed them from my game.

Part of being used to the Testing Cheats is that I'm still learning what I can do with the Insimenator. F'rinstance, I edit the personalities of every sim in my game. (I just can't stand the behavior of slovenly, lazy, or sociopathic sims, so those "features" do not exist in my game.) For a very long time, I always used the Testing Cheats exclusively for that.

Now that I've learned to adjust sims' personalities somewhat efficiently with the Insimenator, I usually use Insim; however, if using the Testing Cheats allowed me to keep some variety in Zodiac signs I wouldn't use the Insimenator at all.

The same is true for adjusting sims' interests. The way Maxis programmed sims reacting to a topic they're not interested in is beyond disgusting. (Can you imagine Sheba sticking Her fingers in Her ears and going "nyaaa, nyaaa, nyaaa" because one of Her children wanted to talk about snails when She wasn't interested in talking about them? Or for that matter, can you imagine any rational human being of any age doing that? Neither can I. It really makes me wonder about the people at Maxis.) So I eliminate that one by having every sim interested in everything. I regret the loss of that element of game play but rejoice mightily in never having to encounter the repulsive behavior that goes with it.

Insim wins when it comes to adjusting interests. Just spawn the Interests Adjuster and chose 100% for everything.

When it comes to tuning up a given sim's current mood, the Testing Cheats win over any hack. If I want to do everybody on the lot at once, I usually use the Multipainting. Insim's multiple menus are kind of clumsy in comparison with the Multipainting and neither is even in the same universe when it comes to the convenience of the Testing Cheats for adjusting the mood states.

There's one scenario where the Insimenator beats all other cheat objects, hands down: Going to an unimproved community lot. The ability to spawn a cheat object while downtown would make it worth the effort to install the Insimenator even if there were no other advantages.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #29
Greg

Oh, and if Bon Voyage really needs that much computer power, I just might have to wait until I can afford a new machine before I install it. Golly.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #30
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Hmm, I set shadows and lights to medium and had better results. Maybe I'll turn shadows off just to see. Although I hate to do that for picture taking purposes...looks less realistic...
Kaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #31
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I read something about "fresnel effects on the water." If you could turn that off, it would probably much improve any lot with a pond or pool!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #32
Zenmistress
Solar Max

*pouts* Now I am yet another expansion behind....
there is no way my computer would handle BV. I'm not even sure it will handle Pets and Seasons (if I ever get around to installing those).

Those screenshots are cool, Kaylyn, thanks for posting them.
Zenmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #33
Greg

It sounds like your game is configured identically to mine, Sandy! Why mess with perfection?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:48 AM   #34
Zenmistress
Solar Max

Yes, it runs quite nicely now. I would like new objects and animations and to be able to download stuff based on newer stuff, but the fear of what might happen should I install out-weighs my need for new downloads.

It helps to know I'm not alone.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #35
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Well, you could back up your 'hoods and try the newer packs. You'll know in minutes if you don't like them!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #36
Greg

Sometimes I daydream about getting another machine and just doing a fresh new install of the unmodded game, just to find out out what it's supposed to be like.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #37
Miros1
Goddess for Life

All you have to do is rename your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder and let the game recreate...
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #38
Greg

But if I want to revert to the current version, will the files under Program Files/EA Games/... be messed up?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #39
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I think you can just uninstall the newest EPs. Everything has its own directory now.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #40
Zenmistress
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
Well, you could back up your 'hoods and try the newer packs. You'll know in minutes if you don't like them!

Oh, I'm sure I'd like them...I just don't think my computer would.