Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Default Seasons "Want Slot" Troubles

Well, I finally got Sims 2 onto my new PC & have run into a strange little glitch involving continuing "blank" want slots.

Back on my old PC (in my pre-seasons days) I only encountered this once: Mary Sue Pleasant would have 1 blank want slot when I first loaded the Pleasant home, but once she came home from work that day everything was peachy. There were NO other problems with any other Sims/Lots or Hoods.

This time though I'm having a re-occuring problem that- near as I can figure out- seems to be tied into the Goth lot. The 1st time I loaded/played, Cassandra had only 1 "working" want slot. When I "upgraded" her with MATYs Lot De-Bugger (as I usually do) she got her new "6-slot" pannel, but 5 of them were black & had a lock on them! (This was NEVER the problem with Mary Sue! I have never seen "blacked-out" slots before! )

So- after playing a bit more with other lots- I gave up & swapped my current N1 folder with one I had made right after I installed the game. (Totaly fresh copy. )

This time it was Mortimer with the glitch (he was only "missing" 2 slots) and again, I got the weird blacked-out/locked slot look. However after moving Mortimer out & onto another lot, he's doing just fine....but after going back to play with Cassandra (still on the Goth lot) I now find she has suddenly come up with 2 blank slots! Also, she has a morbid fear of having a party (1000 point Aspiration hit) and also WANTS to have a party (2000 point Aspiration bonus) at the same time!

Any thoughts?

I've used both the Lot De-Bugger & InSIM to "refresh" wants (which they both claim will fix the whole blank slot thing) with no results.

I have all the offical Maxis Patches (including the new Pets & Seasons ones) installed aswell.

I'm kinda hoping there's a way to fix this without trying a complete re-install!

-ZW

(Oh yes, whenever I load the Goth house, the game automatically sets it's self to "pause" instead of "normal speed" for some reason. That's also leading me to belive it's somehow lot specific.)
Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Do you have any hacks that affect wants, like JMP's nopetspam?

I think I read somewhere that this is caused by a sort of "mini-crash" in the want generator... i.e. something just stops instead of returning "valid want" or "invalid want," so the UI doesn't know what to do with that slot.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Hmmmm. Interesting.

As a matter of fact I do have some "want hacks". I will go ahead and remove most of them (can't live without the NoRandomFlirt & NoEngageWant ones! ) and see what gives.

May also try a clean install (since I'm not very "far" into the game yet) to see if maybe that helps.

Thanks for the advise!

-ZW

(I have some hacks that affect memories too...any chance they could be causing problems? Also, I found a hack titled "noadhd" that I am 99% sure is from MATY, but for the life of me I can't find it listed & have no idea what it does! I know I installed it for a reason, but..... )
Old 04-07-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I think noadhd is from MATY too. I think the name's been changed. Will look for it tomorrow.

You could just name your My Document/EA Games/The Sims 2 folder and let the game create a new one (new hoods, no downloads whatsoever). Then when you figure out the problem, you could delete the new folder and rename your old one to be the current game.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

**QUICKY UPDATE**

Well, I pulled pretty much all the "want" effecting mods I had & booted up the game. Cassandra (my problem child) was back to all 6 want slots good to go, although she was standing in a flower bed in her work clothes (when I last saved she was at work) and still had her fear/desire for a party.

I checked in on Mortimer 9in his new home), and he was still good although he was inside rather than outside like I had last left him. Also Alexandar was standing next to him when he was suposed to be at school.

Just out of curiosity I checked in quick with the Pleasants- more specifically on Mary Sue (who was my 1 quirky Sim before Seasons)- and everyone there was good.

Very interesting & strange! (Really wondering if it's a Mortimer/Alexandar/Cassandra and/or "Goth Lot" thing! )

Will try and play around a little more tomorrow....

-ZW
Old 04-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

***QUICKY UPDATE 2***

Just for kicks I wiped/re-install Sims 2 Seasons (all patches,EPs, etc) and have noticed one strange little thing:

When installing an EP/SP there is a "mini splash page" that pops up for a second or two with the name of the EP/SP on it. These were all crystal clear except the one for Seasons which had a distinct "jagged edge" look to the edges of the Sims 2 writing/logo. I have one of the nVidia cards specifically listed as a Seasons prefered one (in the read me file) so i just found this a bit odd.

Anyone else notice this? Is this normal?

-ZW
Old 04-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Very weird! I don't have Seasons yet, so I can't report on it.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #8
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

It's just me again! It seems that noadhd (which is from MATY) has something to do with Sims finishing chess games, or something like that. Since it's not a "want-alterer" I'm leaving it in place. I am also making double sure that all my mods are Seasons Compatible (or at least not incompatible! ) just in case.

Another strange thing: I just got the "Seasons Okay" version of CEP & see that it as 2 files, one that goes in my Downloads & one that replaces something in the base game (or something like that) which is strange because I could swear that before I only had a "Download" file! Never remember replacing anything else.....

-ZW
Old 04-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Can you make a list of the "want-alterer" hacks that you have? That might provide a clue.

I've had a few instances of missing wants, but so far they have always healed themselves just by playing the game.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
Greg

Hmm... maybe. I'd wait until a more reliable source analyzes the problem.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:35 AM   #11
Miros1
Goddess for Life

That still doesn't explain why removing your hacks "fixed" the problem.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:42 AM   #12
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Okay, granted MATY isn't exactly my favorite source of knowlege, but the problems described in that thread were exactly what I was running into. That, plus the fact that I hadn't added any new hacks from my Pets install (which again, was working pretty darn spiffy) seems to point to an EP glitch.

I also found it nice to know that I have not been imagining the fact that- try as I might- I just can NOT get some of the "scripted" events to work like the Prima Guide walkthroughs claimed they are supposed to. Makes sense now that I see that past EPs have skewed some of those elements.

Every little once in a while, MATY does serve a purpose! Other than being (saddly) still one of the #1 sources for decent hacks. I just make sure to rinse off well after visiting....

-ZW
Old 04-08-2007, 03:43 AM   #13
Miros1
Goddess for Life

You only rinse? I scrub with bleach!
Old 04-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #14
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
You only rinse? I scrub with bleach!

-ZW
Old 04-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Well I am know a totall beliver in the Seasons Pre-Scripted Events/Familys Glitch.

The whole "Pleasant family" thing (which I have gone through a couple times before) is most certainly completely messed with. Too messed with to even be "fun" anymore. I finally (through the use of creative storytelling/picture staging & one heck of an imagination) got things to play out the way I needed them to, but it was a real pain!

On the Goth front, Cassandra goes from only 1 of 6 slots working (always about going on a date) to all 6 involving talking/playing/joking with her current husband Don. While they are starting to amass quite a nice collection of "Date Gifts" (Don runs outside & leaves them on their own porch) it's starting to wear a little thin! I hate to have to knock her up just to trigger a new "want tree" (as babies always seem to do) but she is leaving me little alternative!

(Yes, I had removed all hacks relating to wants and even relationships. They are all back in now 'cause I need them for other things.)

Oh well.

I will just consider this an exersize in creative problem solving!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 AM   #16
Greg

That's fascinating. I've never been interested in playing the Pleasant family even as they came with the original game, so now I'm hearing they're even worse?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

"Worse" is an understatement! Several of the "per-scripted" Sims are actually missing the wants/fears they "have" to have in order to make the "pre-scripted" events make sense or even take place!

Examples: Cassandra's only want is to go on a date & she has NO wants/fears involiving marrying Don or talking to Darren. Daniel Pleasant has no want to WooHoo with Kaylynn OR fear of getting caught cheating by Mary-Sue. Loki Beaker has "swapped" fears/aspiration levels with Nervous Subject, and is in almost continual Aspiration Failure because of seeing cockroaches. (Actually, I have a soft spot for poor Nervous & rather enjoyed seeing him laugh at Loki for a change, but Loki is almost unplayable this way! )

I did find this advise which I might try to see what happens.
http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=42619

I am also considering doing an un-install, re-installing up to Pets (which was working fine for me) , playing through what "pre-scripted" crap I feel like, then adding Seasons/Celebrations to the mix. The lack of public outcry over this glitch really makes me think it's only rampant with the "pre-scripted" events (which most people have played through before installing Seaons) so if they are already triggered I'm hoping that will fix things!

-ZW
Old 04-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #18
Greg

Yeah, it might help to just get past all the pre-scripted events. On the other hand, that might lead your characters into directions that you don't want them to go.

F'rinstance, I wouldn't have Cassandra marry Don Lothario. Better to feed that guy to the dogs.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #19
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
F'rinstance, I wouldn't have Cassandra marry Don Lothario. Better to feed that guy to the dogs.

Actually, I think that would be grossly unfair to the dogs & borders on cruelty to animals!

I've gone ahead & uninstalled/re-installed up to Pets. The more I thought about it, the more I've decided to just get the "Maxis Crap" outta the way (the way I think it should go) then inflict Seasons on my game.

Will post my findings later. (I'm off to my wood carving class right now. )

-ZW
Old 04-13-2007, 03:39 AM   #20
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I had Don Lothario boff the gardner girl until he starved to death. Problem solved!