Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #21
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

I don't have a copy of the file but I can always download it again. I don't think I've ever had Warlokk default replacements on my machine. I've had someone else's for a long time, along with default replacements for most of the clothing meshes up through Nightlife.

Warlokk's 34cn34 is so similar that I'll just jump right in there and give it a shot!
Old 12-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #22
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Or you could use BlooM's sexyfeet default replacement bottom (also approximately 34" hips)... but then you'd have the tootsies sticking out of sneakers problem!
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:13 AM   #23
Greg

Hawt diggity dawg! My first-round test worked!

I found that I did have Warlokk's default afbodynaked and aftopnaked installed, but for some reason, the default sims weren't showing up with a perky Warlokkian figure. They all had Duddly's default override, which is pretty close to Warlokk's 34Cn34.

I didn't want to delete Duddly's work because he included overrides for all the Maxian clothing meshes, so (after making a backup copy) I used SimPE to edit Duddly's file and deleted afbodynaked and aftopnaked from the list. It worked! I created a new family with a default female sim, and now she has a Warlokkian body shape!

As an added bonus, it picked up the default nude skin that matches the body shape. I was afraid I'd have to fix my default skin override, but it turns out not to be necessary. That's really good news because replacing the textures in the default files gets to be really, really tedious.

Now I can get really brave and try replacing the gmdc in Warlokk's default override with his 34Cn34 figure, and my whole game ought to be back to a consistent default body shape again!
Old 12-09-2007, 04:40 AM   #24
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Cool! Now we know it works.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #25
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

So you didn't have to do anything "extra" to get the new default nude skin to show up?

Cool!

Now I just need to figure out how to get my Elders to draw on the Adult nude mesh, like I can for the clothing.

(Having a hard time getting InSim's "search" feature to get me to specific downloads instead of just every-thread-a-person-ever-posted-a-reply-on!)
Old 12-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #26
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I'd say just export the chosen adult mesh (some people like to use the FM mesh for elders) and import it into the elder top/bottom files.

Try "advanced search" or look at the person's profile and click "Threads started by." For Warlokk or jwilson5, check their sections of the board.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #27
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

I think that's where I'm missing a step or something.

I'm just not quite grasping where to find the (Maxis) nude files that I want to replace with something else. I get how to "merge" 2 different downloaded nudes, but how did they find the original Maxis nudes to overwrite?

I'll try the more advanced search features...

Also just broke down & pleaded for help over at MTS2. (Again, on-site search functions & I just don't seem to like each other!) If all goes well, I hope to find out how to make my own clothing re-categorizers for Maxis clothes (like fanseelamb has) & some other stuff.

If it goes poorly, my post will be deleted & I'll be labeled a jerk for not reading every tutorial already posted. (That's one problem with the modding sites: they don't want you asking questions that they have already answered but how many hours can they seriously expect a person to spend wading through page after page of postings?)
Old 12-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #28
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Yeah, the only food tutorial I've ever found is very outdated and for cereal only... Well, I wanna make gingerbread pancakes on a custom plate!

I think I'll go beg simaddict99 at TSR to write one... He/she seems pretty nice, even if I did ask a stupid question that I had already downloaded the tutorial with the answer in it! (Simaddict99's real name is Alex, so you still can't guess gender...)
Old 12-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #29
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirconia Wolf View Post
So you didn't have to do anything "extra" to get the new default nude skin to show up?

Cool!

Now I just need to figure out how to get my Elders to draw on the Adult nude mesh, like I can for the clothing.

(Having a hard time getting InSim's "search" feature to get me to specific downloads instead of just every-thread-a-person-ever-posted-a-reply-on!)
I should have explained better. I had already installed Warlokk's default mesh but it was not showing up. That's because I also had Duddly's default mesh installed and it was overriding Warlokk's. Once I removed Duddly's mesh, then Warlokk's mesh showed up.

I have not yet tried changing the default mesh so those sims still look sort of like a Warlokkian 34Bn34.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #30
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Ah...Okay, I'll add that to my list of information!

I actually think I'm getting closer to figuring out this whole "clothing thing"!

I've managed to find where I believe Maxis has stashed all their clothing files & downloaded a set of the default Maxis skins so I can swap my nudes easier.

You know, considering that all I really wanted was to set up my game so Elders would use the Adult clothing & nude meshes, this has taken me a lot more time that I figured it would!

I do hope my Elders appreciate all this work...
Old 12-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #31
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
Yeah, the only food tutorial I've ever found is very outdated and for cereal only... Well, I wanna make gingerbread pancakes on a custom plate!

I think I'll go beg simaddict99 at TSR to write one... He/she seems pretty nice, even if I did ask a stupid question that I had already downloaded the tutorial with the answer in it! (Simaddict99's real name is Alex, so you still can't guess gender...)
No progress on the Sim-gingerbread-pancakes, but these are real-world nummy!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/108785
Quote:
Gingerbread Pancakes
Gourmet | November 2003

Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 45 min

Servings: Makes about 18 pancakes.

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brewed coffee, cold or at room temperature
4 large eggs
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Vegetable oil for brushing griddle
Accompaniment: pure maple syrup

Preparation
Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a bowl. Whisk together water, coffee, eggs, butter, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined. Let stand 15 minutes (batter will thicken).
Brush a griddle or 12-inch nonstick skillet with oil and heat over moderate heat until hot but not smoking.

Working in batches of 3 or 4, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto hot griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip pancakes with a spatula and cook until cooked through and edges are lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a platter and loosely cover with foil to keep warm. Brush griddle with oil between batches.
I also sent a PM to simaddict99, and he or she already has a tutorial on custom plates started. Maybe we'll see it soon!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #32
Greg

My policy is to just ignore jerks who complain about someone asking a question. It's far easier to say "Look here for the tutorial" than to compose a new diatribe just because someone asked.

It's ludicrous to expect anyone to wade through every tutorial posted at MTS2. I know that people invest a lot of time in them, but the vast majority are unintelligible and more often than not it's not even clear what they're about.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:12 AM   #33
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
It's ludicrous to expect anyone to wade through every tutorial posted at MTS2. I know that people invest a lot of time in them, but the vast majority are unintelligible and more often than not it's not even clear what they're about.
Oh thank you for saying that!

All this time I thought it was just me who's eyes would glaze over as I tried to scroll through post after post, thread after thread, in a desperate attempt to keep from committing the most severe of all MTS2 (& many other modding sites) offenses: daring to post a question which had -gasp- already been "answered" in some "tutorial" waaaaaaaay back on page 50 or so.

It's very discouraging to a beginner to be made to feel like pond scum just for asking a question, especially when the site you're asking on claims that it exists to help teach people how to do what you asked about in the first place!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:13 AM   #34
Greg

Indeed. Every time I see a note criticizing someone for asking a question, I certainly do not feel ill toward the one who asked. What's the point of posting a tutorial if you don't want to be a tutor?

We write tutorials so that we can point people to them, not because we expect everyone in the world to read our minds and know where our tutorials are without asking. Heck, most of the time, I don't even know where my own tutorials are and have to ask for help to find them!

And if someone doesn't understand my tutorial, that tells me that it's not clear enough. Quoting myself:
Teaching is the act of leading someone else on an adventure from the familiar into the unknown and making the unknown knowable.
The greatest challenge is learning what is familiar to the one who wants to learn--it matters not one whit what I know--and finding a path to the shiny prize lurking in in the murky unknown.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:53 AM   #35
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Of course, Sita and I write our tutorials to ease our re-learning of stuff that we knew and forgot...
Old 12-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #36
Greg

It's the same thing, but this time you're on both ends of the log!