Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2007, 03:58 AM   #1
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Default Web Traffic Anomaly

Something weird happened on Sun Sims today. At this moment, the front page is showing: "Most users ever online was 45, Today at 03:35 PM."
That would be 3:35 PM US Central Daylight Time.

I noticed part of the anomaly when there were 26 users signed on, consisting of me and 25 guests; and 24 of the guests were reading the Rules and Community Standards. We sometimes have half a dozen folks surfing by at any one time but I've never seen much more than that, and nobody bothers to read the rules, so this is a really strange phenomenon. I don't know of any event elsewhere on the net that would have caused it.

What was that all about? A weak attempt at a denial-of-service attack? Did we get mentioned on slashdot? Did some Internet surfers get stuck in a standing wave? Perhaps a spammer testing IP masking? Have we blundered into a high ranking on some search engine?

What the heck would cause 45 people to suddenly want to read Sun Sims's rules?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
Miros1
Goddess for Life

The Sims community has suddenly become law abiding and wants to know the rules before they break them?

Might also be a web crawler or 40...
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Greg

Yeah, it could have been a web crawler that had a glitch that caused it to launch a bunch of processes all at the same time. That's the only way I can think of that vBulletin would have recognized 40 visitors all reading the same topic.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
shorty943
Banned

I'd have to trawl through a few hundred security bulletins, but, I'm sure I recently skimmed over something about small scale DoS attacks. ZDNet, is my main font of news.
Might take an hour or 2, if I find it I'll post a link.

Edit.

Well that was easy.
Unless for some reason you have an Apple TV server up and running, That was the Dos warning.
Also an article about Russian mobs, hijacking about 5,000 Italian websites with "MPack", and redirecting traffic to drive-by malicious loaded sites.
Skeletons in Microsoft's update closet. Blah, blah. Google did this, Yahoo said that.

Last edited by shorty943 : 06-29-2007 at 11:37 AM.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
Greg

I suspect that if it was a DoS attack, it was very small scale; like maybe one or two Sims fans putting a lot of effort into something that produced no detectable result other than this thread. On the other hand, you never know what will trigger certain segments of the Sims community to be wildly indignant about something. Often I get the feeling that people hold clandestine meetings in hidden chat room to decide on the wild indignation du jour.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
I suspect that if it was a DoS attack, it was very small scale; like maybe one or two Sims fans putting a lot of effort into something that produced no detectable result other than this thread. On the other hand, you never know what will trigger certain segments of the Sims community to be wildly indignant about something. Often I get the feeling that people hold clandestine meetings in hidden chat room to decide on the wild indignation du jour.

Huh, tell me about it. There are quite a few very juvenile site populations.
Snide snappy little.......
Makes a greybeard want to smack arses.

I wonder if Ted Bullpit can help there. Ted was the lead character of a classic Aussie sit-com. No matter what, who, how, Ted had been upset, there was always a solution.
"Someone should blow such and such up". Was Ted's solution.

Probably a bit PIC, for minds these days.

Shorty.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:17 AM   #7
Greg

Ah, if only we knew where to plant the dynamite...