Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 AM   #21
shorty943
Banned

"The overall picture is 256x512.

The front image area is 256x436." quoted from Greg's post.

That's more like it.

Poster Importer taught me the need to flip the picture horizontally, got that one down "pat". Recolouring posters seems to be the easy one. Just got to get the scaling right for resizing.

Some photo's really are a framed painting quality rather than a poster shop print. A couple of my better photo's, have actually been reproduced, on canvas, by local gallery artists. And that is where I really need the advice.
I would like to get at least some, of the more postcard type shots, in framed paintings rather than as posters.
People don't hang posters in their living or dining room, but, a painting, of the Isle of Capri, the Amalfi Coast of Italy, Hawaii, or just a big old Humpback Whale.
But, we keep plugging away. I'll get it right, eventually.
"With a lot of help from my friends" to miss quote The Beatles.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #22
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty943 View Post
<snip>I had to fool around with resizing the photo's etc, to make things fit. I figured out there was some jiggery pokery needed, to make the print fit the frame, and include the back of the frame. I ended up tearing into the original with SimPE to see what was in there.<snip>
Yep, you usually have to export the original textures to figure out what's what, even if you manage to generate the UVMap!

Someplace there, you mentioned the "picture" overlapping the frame. What you need to do is indicate that you're only recoloring the picture. Any image in the frame area is then ignored.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #23
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Tomatohead Painting

Tomatohead Painting Layout

Overall size: 512x256
Main image size: 342x256

The main image is not reversed.

You might need to start with a 512x256 image and then scale asymmetrically to 342x256. If I recall correctly, the Tomatohead is one of those.

Original Art for Tomatohead Painting

----------
The Birth of the Virgin
Sano di pietro
Tempra and Gold on wood panel

This painting was part of a large altar piece in the Chapel of the town hall in Siena, Italy, which was called the predelle. It was later separated into the individual paintings. The predelle showed five different stages of Mary's life. The "Birth of the Virgin" is the first stage of her life. The "Birth of the Virgin" has a very ornate golden frame. She was also The Patron Saint of the City of Siena. Churches want paintings that reflect religious themes like the painting above. Churches used these images to help educate their followers about the stories in the Bible.

-- http://www.si.umich.edu/chico/Emerson/virgin.html
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #24
Greg

Now it's my turn to ask a question: What the heck is "Poster Importer"?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #25
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Now it's my turn to ask a question: What the heck is "Poster Importer"?

It's a 1.4 Mb application I picked up from EA, ages ago. It recolours 10 only posters, named xx.slotxx (01 to 10).pkg, and drops them into its own subfolder in \Downloads. It makes this folder on installation. And as I say, it seems the recolours only work, if the application is installed.

Those painting layouts are exactly what I have been looking for Greg.
Thank you.
Armed with those, the information above from Miros, Lady M, thank you. (Actually, one of the weird effects, on a white frame looked surprisingly good, pity the rest was a shambles.) Make another cup, no, Lots of coffee, have another go.

Now, to other matters. Human not Sim.
Evening news here, just informs me some of Texas has just gone under water.
All you and your's are safe and sound I pray, Greg?

Last edited by shorty943 : 06-19-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #26
Miros1
Goddess for Life

It's a combination of a hacked object (a poster) and a utility that will let you set the 10 images that the object can display. It dates back to the first days of hacked S2 objects, when SimPE was such a bear to operate that casual users didn't exist yet. (Lol, cross post here... I'd forgotten that it was an EA application!)

FYI, Greg's in Houston and his family is near Dallas. I haven't heard anything about flooding in Texas yet!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #27
shorty943
Banned

Just gone 10:30 PM local time here, 0\10 Network 10:00 evening news.
Apparently Northern Texas, flash flooding, houses damaged, cars wrecked in trees, the usual. Couldn't make out casualty reports, bit noisy here at the moment. Either the wind is trying to rip my roof off, or the ISS just fell on my shed.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #28
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Must be the wind. Greg would have told us if the ISS fell on your shed. Will have to pop over to a news site and check out the flooding!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #29
shorty943
Banned

I think they managed to patch her up, for another lap or 2 around the planet.
Must have been the morning news I saw some thing about a bandaide, on the tear in the shuttle insulation, to come home with
What is the computer system in the ISS? It must be what? a 486 DX4 or some advanced machine like that?.
Well, I had heard the early shuttles ran on TI 386's, I figure the ISS must be more advanced than that. Right?

Hey, aren't I good. I just hijacked my own thread. Ha ha.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #30
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Lol, you're now qualified to join the Society of Thread Hijackers!

Yeah, I read about both the repairs to the ISS and the shuttle. Both were successful.

Not sure what the ISS is using for computers. The problem is, modern chips aren't rated to take the radiation outside the atmosphere. Kind of sad when the electronics need more shielding than the meat!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #31
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
Lol, you're now qualified to join the Society of Thread Hijackers!

Yeah, I read about both the repairs to the ISS and the shuttle. Both were successful.

Not sure what the ISS is using for computers. The problem is, modern chips aren't rated to take the radiation outside the atmosphere. Kind of sad when the electronics need more shielding than the meat!

LOL? It's my thread. How, pray tell, does one hijack one's own thread?

Hm, curious, modern radiation generating chips, not coping with big RAD's from good old Sol? Suffering from "sunburn". Not so good really.
Remind me never to take my laptop into space.

BTW, giving the paintings another try tonight, thank you for your help.
Would you mind checking the 2 I posted yesterday? They will be, unfortunately, in the last post in the Football poster thread, haven't found a way to put them in the first post, like they are supposed to be, typical of me.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #32
Greg

For what it's worth: I own a house near Dallas but my relatives aren't there. My sister moved to San Antonio last year. Mom and other sister are in Illinois. Brother is in Pennsylvania.

I live in El Lago, Texas. It's about 20 miles to the Gulf of Mexico from here, and about 2 miles to Galveston Bay.

I've seen some clips on the news about the flooding but it doesn't seem to be a really big event.

STS-117's visit to the International Space Station went very well. They got the new solar array installed so now the space station is generating twice the power and even looks symmetrical!

Amusement: Sunni Williams is coming home on the Space Shuttle after her 6-month tour of duty aboard the ISS. She established a new record for duration of a single space flight by a female (a record previously held by Shannon Lucid from her tour aboard the Mir space station), and of course that record continues to increase until Atlantis lands. Quoth Sunni: "I just happened to be in the right place at the right time."

Shorty, you should see an link in the lower right-hand corner of your first post in this thread. (And for your own posts anywhere on the board.) If not, I need to check the settings for the board. The "Edit" link should allow you to edit both the text of your post and the attachments.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #33
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
For what it's worth: I own a house near Dallas but my relatives aren't there. My sister moved to San Antonio last year. Mom and other sister are in Illinois. Brother is in Pennsylvania.
I'm sure Alex and Melva will be happy to know you've disowned them and they're no longer your family...

(FYI, Shorty, Alex and Melva are the reason Greg started playing Sims1 in the first place...)
Old 06-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #34
shorty943
Banned

Thank you, Lady M, I have seen the only photo, in known world history, of Greg's lady wife?, Melva, in an earlier post. Alex, I presume is the cherished "ankle biter".

My mob are pretty well spread around as well. Younger brother and myself, are within 15 minute drive. 3 of 5 sisters, and older brother, are around 4 hours away. The other 2 sisters live interstate, 1 of them in northern Queensland.
A couple of my ankle biters live in southern Adelaide, the state capital. The youngest lives even further bush than I do, with a young lad of his own.

Hey we did it again.
A simple request for help, has evolved into an international friendship forum.

Okay Greg, thank's mate, I'll have a look at cleaning up the mess in that thread.

Six months, that's a long time in a tin can. Mind you, the scenery is spectacular, the job is the heights. Forget standing near the edge fella. Those people left the edge far behind long ago. Glad their all home safe, and it seems my remark on Edwards was a pretty fair guess.
Hm, do NASA need any more Met Boffins?

PS. When did I become a, "Herald of the Dawn"?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #35
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Right about Melva and Alex, except the "ankle biter" is tall enough to bite Greg's bald spot... not that he's likely to, but he's capable!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #36
shorty943
Banned

I know that feeling. My baby boy towers over me.

I am lucky, genetically. None of the men in my family ever developed a bald spot. (My hair falls down past my shoulders, still dark, the solid grey beard gives me away).
But, being Navy, none of them lived to retirement age of 65. Gives me 12 years, to be the longest lived man in the family in 4 generations.
40 years ago, (Vietnam War), I didn't know if I was going to wake up alive the next day. Now, I'm a grandfather. How the hell did that happen?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #37
Greg

Rose, no, really; I don't have any relatives near Dallas. Alex and Melva live with me here in El Lago. We've rented out the house up there in the frozen waste of the north.

Well, that is, no relatives unless you count Scotty!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #38
Greg

Yup, Alex is 6'2" or 6'3" nowadays. I'm only 6'1".

Shorty, "Herald of the Dawn" is the default user title for howsomever posts you'd made on this board. vBulletin has this built-in thing that assigns user titles based on posts, but you can override it by setting a custom title in your user profile, which you get to from the User Control Panel.

The default titles on Sun Sims are:
Rising Sun - 0 posts
Herald of the Dawn - 30 posts
Solar Max - 100 posts
vBulletin came with some other set of titles that I didn't much like so I fiddled with them. I'm always open to suggestions for alternative default titles. I was trying for a clever play on "Sun Sims," y'see.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #39
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Rose, no, really; I don't have any relatives near Dallas. Alex and Melva live with me here in El Lago. We've rented out the house up there in the frozen waste of the north.
Ah! You have to keep us updated on these things! So the 5 tons of assorted science fiction collection made another move?

BTW, have they decided to give you the job yet?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:49 AM   #40
Greg

Yes, the books, the dogs, Melva, Alex, and everything moved down here when I leased the house in El Lago two years ago. I'm still (once again!) looking for a job.

Hey, maybe I can get a job making grilled cheese!