Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #21
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Those would be fan-created recolors of Maxis objects? If it's all of them then you need to enable costume content, quit, and restart. If it's some of them, there might be a problem with the GUID of the original object.

Have you installed at least up through Nightlife? Before Nightlife, the game did not look into subfolders for clothing.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #22
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Yeah, it's the user created re-colors (of Maxis Objects) that just went AWOL on me.

As "luck" would have it, I just stumbled on why: for reasons I cannot explain, the GMND part of the CEP mod (the one that goes into the Downloads folder) suddenly disappered! Now that I put it back in, everything is good to go again.

I'm reeeeeaaaaly hoping that I just got careless with my Download swapping & it's not my computer getting funky on me. This is entirely possible as it was something of a "marathon" of a re-install, but I wish I could remember doing it!

I never new that it was NightLife that added the whole subfolder thing! That's what I get for jumping strait in to everything-up-to-Pets when I finally decided to join the Sims 2 bandwagon; I'm not entirely sure just what earlier EP added what! (I am now back up to everything-up-to-Seasons/Celebrations status. Not sure if I'll throw H&M in yet or not as SimPE isn't updated yet... )
Old 09-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #23
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I keep spare files on my hard drive just in case the puter wants a little snack. Seems to work well; haven't lost an important file in ages!
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:45 AM   #24
Sita
Solar Max

At one time I had similar problems and thought I had too many downloads till I looked in the computer management screen and saw that the disk BADLY needed defragging. Once out of the red, it was fine.
Sita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:32 AM   #25
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

I never even thought to check my "frag" levels at the time (since I found the culprit) but that's a good point!

I once stumbled across a fan-site for another game along time ago where the site owner was quit adamant that DeFragging was "a complete waste of time" and that it had "never helped solve any performance problems".

I couldn't help but laugh! I can't count the number of times that a DeFrag has cured something for me. Maybe my computers have all just been strange that way?

Actually, given all the file swapping I've been up to lately, I think I had better take a quick peek at my frag levels right now...
Old 10-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #26
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

It sounds like the other fellow just hasn't filled up his hard drive to the point that it matters. That could be bad because if the disk gets too full, defragging becomes quite an adventure.

He also might be playing a game that doesn't do a lot of disk access or have large files to fetch during game play.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 AM   #27
rdanner3
Herald of the Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
It sounds like the other fellow just hasn't filled up his hard drive to the point that it matters. That could be bad because if the disk gets too full, defragging becomes quite an adventure.
That's Eternal Truth, Greg. I still remember (and shudder at the memory) the time that I worked on a client's 5 year old computer that had never been defragged. Not even with Windows' defrag. End result? 98.75% fragmentation; 9 hours, 45 minutes total defragmentation time using PerfectDisk 7 (the then-current PerfectDisk) after I did significant junk-file cleansing and eliminated 53 extra copies of AOL (ranging in version from 3.0 up to 9.0, with 27 copies of AOL 5.5) had to have helped drive space considerably. I then did an offline defrag (actually, a boot-time defrag) that neatened the system files and the system was significantly faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
He also might be playing a game that doesn't do a lot of disk access or have large files to fetch during game play.
Perhaps, or maybe he's just ignorant as a stump. Even more frightening? The nice folks at Maximum PC magazine have decreed that "Drive defragmentation makes little to no difference in speed, and can degrade load times." The article actually recommended "If you need a defragmenter at all, use a freeware one. It'll be better than Vista's. It won't help you, but it won't hurt, either."

Let me tell you, as a computer consultant who has seen first-hand what defragmenting a HDD can do for performance (see my first response in this post), their testing was pure hogwash. Their test methodology was sound (they fragmented a drive, then made a proper 1:1 image of said data, using that for each test) but their results are, at best, suspect. (See this month's issue for the test.)

To see an otherwise good magazine pump out bilge wash that bad really gets me a bit steamed. Fragmentation of critical system files or areas (the pagefile or MFT for example) can torpedo your performance, especially in Vista, so it's more than a good idea to lock the paging file to a size 2.5x the size of your system RAM (or 4Gb, whichever's smaller) and make sure it's moved to a place that makes it fast. Since most (if not all) commercialware defragmentation programs have fully-functional trialware, use one of those (I recommend PerfectDisk 2008) in "Offline Defrag" (despite the name, it defrags prior to XP or Vista coming all the way up, during the so-called pre-boot mode) to get the system files into shape.
rdanner3 is offline   Reply With Quote