Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Default No Ugly Sim templates!

Someone figured out how to get rid of the premade Maxis templates.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=287013
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

That's really neat! It's not clear whether one would want to install both versions of the hack. Do you know?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I haven't installed them yet (amazingly, the download went very smoothly), but I think you need both if you have Uni. The first one blocks the basegame templates and the second one blocks the YA templates.

No more ugly templates!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Greg

Excellent! Heck, I don't think I have ever started with one of those premade Maxian sims, though often the game has randomly rolled up a pretty character that I introduced into my game for just that reason.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Really sad that random is better than Maxis created...

Last edited by Miros1 : 05-29-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Greg

When you put it that way... yeah.

I suspect that the stock characters came from asking a bunch of interns or even lower life forms to create a set of characters that varied widely in their appearance.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
Hokieman
Solar Max

Or given the sense of humor some people had, I'd bet some of them were trying to make the ugliest sim they could. Or they could have been in a hurry. It's a lot easier to make an ugly sim than a pretty one.

I do get a lot of pretty decent looking sims though in bodyshop although I rarely use them.
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
Miros1
Goddess for Life

When I get a nice one, I give it Maxis hair and clothes and put it up for download!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Hokieman
Solar Max

I hadn't thought to do that. I'll try to remember to do that.
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
Greg

I can confirm that this mod works! I installed both versions; no Maxian sims in the CAS screen.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
Sita
Solar Max

But this wouldn't get rid of the grotty SS uni sims would it? Aren't those from templates too?
Sita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #12
Greg

Yes, they are; and no, it won't.

The text that accompanies this mod hints that somewhere on MTS2 there's a mod that hides the Maxis clothing, too, but it sounds like it would just prevent it from showing up in your CAS screen. I think that means that the game-generated characters will still show up wearing it.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:11 AM   #13
rdanner3
Herald of the Dawn

OTOH, I've rarely gotten usable Sims by using "Randomize" in either CAS or BS. Obviously, folks' mileage varies widely here. (in fact, I clicked "Randomize" once every 5 seconds for over two hours once. Out of the group generated, I saw a total of 2 I might have kept. The rest were between "almost decent" and "uglier than sin", including one female with squinty eyes and a lantern jaw. Hideous. Of course, this was before I installed the replacement face templates.
rdanner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:24 AM   #14
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Yes, they are; and no, it won't.
If you've done the Uni section of my No Ugly Townies tutorial, no, they aren't, and yes, it will.

With the Uni 'hoods and their complete populations in your game, the SS members are predetermined.

Without the Stupid Stinky Maxis-made Dormies, the game will "recruit" some of your existing Dormies to be SS members. If one of your Sims is selected as a new member and there are not sufficient Dormies to become members to perform the initiation, more Dormies will be randomly generated and they will automatically become SS members.

BTW, TwoJeffs has a hack called Stinky Dormie Fix, which both destinks the dormies and reduces the homeword litter. Normally, the Dormies think that starting another homework assignment will reduce the stink clouds around them. TJ simply disabused them of that notion. He did allow them to think that completing an existing assignment will improve their hygiene, so they'll finish the assignments that are lying around. This is the most clever homework litter reducer I've seen yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
The text that accompanies this mod hints that somewhere on MTS2 there's a mod that hides the Maxis clothing, too, but it sounds like it would just prevent it from showing up in your CAS screen. I think that means that the game-generated characters will still show up wearing it.
I've never found or tried a mod that completely hides the Maxis clothing, but I do know that the Christmas "hider" (by either Jordi or jFade) prevents it from showing up in the CAS screen or in the buying racks at the stores, and from being randomly chosen by game generated characters. I use it simply because I hate people showing up for weddings dressed as Mr. and Mrs. Claus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdanner3 View Post
OTOH, I've rarely gotten usable Sims by using "Randomize" in either CAS or BS. Obviously, folks' mileage varies widely here. (in fact, I clicked "Randomize" once every 5 seconds for over two hours once. Out of the group generated, I saw a total of 2 I might have kept. The rest were between "almost decent" and "uglier than sin", including one female with squinty eyes and a lantern jaw. Hideous. Of course, this was before I installed the replacement face templates.
This is a Maxis product. You take the ones that are "almost decent" and fix them a little. Usually make-up and a decent hair cut will hide the worst of their features. Most real people do have one bad to horrid feature, but the rest of their face balances it out. If nothing else works, tidy up the face with a little plastic surgery (with the CAS controls).

I do have a Legacy 'hood where the twin boys I chose as co-heirs for the third generation grew up to have quite protruding chins, which you don't even notice until you're clicking on objects and swivelling their detached heads around to look at the choices. So far none of their children seem to have inherited the giant chins, but the oldest ones are only teens!

Last edited by Miros1 : 05-31-2008 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Soo...

Are these templates different than the various default face templates I have?

(Can you tell I have rarely used CAS? )

-ZW
Old 05-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #16
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Yes, these are the full body templates on Step 2 of the Sim creation process (under either BS or CAS).
Old 05-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #17
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
If you've done the Uni section of my No Ugly Townies tutorial, no, they aren't, and yes, it will.
To be precise: The mod that this thread is about doesn't do anything to prevent townies from showing up looking like Skid Road bums. Replacing all the townie templates ought to do it, though.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:58 PM   #18
Miros1
Goddess for Life

How dare you insult the bums like that! The bums are very careful to bypass that clothing when they find it at the thrift and charity stores.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #19
Greg

That might explain why it's in the game. EA picked it up really cheap!
Old 06-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #20
Sita
Solar Max

lol thanks - will do this when I reinstall, as soon as I can get my head round everything I need to backup before wiping the disk bleugh.... would be nice to play SS without the frog-faces.
Sita is offline   Reply With Quote