Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #121
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

REAL beaches! Now that is tempting!

I fear that after reading six volumes of Master and Commander, the cartoon treatment of a "pirate" ship might be more distressing than rewarding. The ship shown in that picture looks rather like a cross between 15th century Spanish galleon and Donald Duck's car.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 AM   #122
Greg

Speaking of Master and Commander, I was just reading The Fortunes of War and near the end of the book came across a most interesting development.

Synopsis: Captain Jack Aubrey and Doctor Stephen Maturin ended up as prisoners of war in Boston. After all sorts of amusing adventures, they escaped (Jack never having given his parole) in a borrowed fishing boat and are now aboard HMS Shannon, a frigate captained by Jack's old friend Philip Broke. So far so good. They're safe again aboard a British ship during the War of 1812.

HMS Shannon is part of the British blockade of Boston harbor. Their mission is to sail around in circles and keep three American men of war bottled up, along with all American shipping out of Boston. (Back then Boston was America's main port north of the Patomac.) They can't approach too close to the harbor because the American guns on shore would shoot them to bits if they tried.

Two of the American ships had already slipped out of Boston in the dog before Jack ever escaped from the Americans, leaving only the Chesapeake, captained by Captain Lawrence. Jack Aubrey knows Lawrence very well and has great respect for him.

It might become important that two more American fighting ships are being reoutfitted in Boston harbor, one of them being the Constitution, the ship that had taken Jack and Stephen captive and the same historical ship known as Old Ironsides that sails today from Boston harbor, still under commission in the US Navy. Presumably there's too much work to be done on these ships for them to be a factor in the current situation.

Then, in the scene I just read, Captain Broke wrote a letter a letter to Captain Lawrence.
His Britannic Majesty's Ship Shannon,
off Boston,
June 1813
Sir,

As the Chesapeake appears now ready for sea, I request you will do me the favour to meet the Shannon with her, ship to ship, to try the fortune of or respective flags. To an officer of your character it requries some apology for proceeding to further particulars. Be assured, Sir, that it is not from any doubt I can entertain your wishing to close with my proposals, but merely to provide an answer to any objection which might be made, and very reasonably, upon the chance of our receiving unfair support.
Broke goes on to tell Lawrence that he has sent the rest of the blockade away, exactly how many guns he has and of what type and where they are mounted, exactly how many crew he has aboard along with their ages and levels of experience, and the fact that he has only one day of water aboard and must surely have to withdraw to reprovision his ship if the Chesapeake does not meet him the following day.

Amazingly, Jack Aubrey thinks it's a great idea to send this letter. Surely it will bring Lawrence out.

That strikes me as one of the most ill-advised, hare-brained, idiotic things a British sea captain could have done in that situation. Now, it might well be that Captain Lawrence will answer this nutty challenge to come out and fight ship to ship--thus facing a court martial even if he wins the battle--but I suspect that it's much more likely that he will follow one of several alternative courses available to him:
  1. Wait until the following day when the Shannon has to stand down for water and just slip on out of the harbor.

2. Head out when he has the weather gauge and chase the Shannon out to sea where she'll eventually have to strike her colors because she is out of water.

3. Come out of the harbor with the Constitution and maybe the other ship at his side, even if only partially outfitted and provisioned, and easily add the Shannon to the American navy; and then go on to defeat the British blockade in detail.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #123
Greg

It turned out that there was an option 4 that I hadn't thought of. The captain of the Chesapeake never got the letter. He was already on his way out. He engaged the Shannon and lost both his ship and his life in the process, and that was the end of the book.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #124
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Actually, I'd have assumed he was lying about the one day of water and was trying to trick Captain Lawrence into coming out the next day assuming the Shannon would strike colors.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #125
Greg

Yup. I would have been suspicious of the British captain's motives, too.

The US Navy history site has a web page about what really happened in the battle between the Shannon and the Chesapeake.

HMS Shannon vs. US Chesapeake, June 1, 1813
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph
Old 01-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #126
Greg

Aha! It was during this battle that Captain James Lawrence issued the immortal words, "Don't give up the ship!"
Old 01-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #127
Greg

Incidentally, Jack and Stephen were aboard HMS Java when the USS Constitution shot her up on December 29, 1812. That's how they ended up being prisoners of war in Boston in the first place.

O'Brian likes to keep his novels as historically accurate as he can while placing his fictional characters aboard the ship.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:56 AM   #128
shorty943
Banned

It makes a break from the institutionalised "official" history books.

The lessons are still there, but in a more personal way.

Wilbur Smith writes of South Africa in the same way.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #129
Greg

I hadn't heard of Wilbur Smith. I take it he writes historical novels?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #130
shorty943
Banned

Mostly recent South Africa. The diamond wars, Tribal wars, the early 20th century Italian and German pushes into North Africa, between the two world wars, mentions Cecil Rhodes (Rhodesia) a few times.

Formulated of course. The hero is always a manly man with the obligatory limp, bad burn scars or what ever, the lead lady is a ravishing beauty, shame about the broken tooth received in the school Lacrosse match. Etc, etc.
And they all live happily ever after on the Rift Valley.
More for the ladies I think, I read a couple he wrote.
Apart from the names and a few other changes, as the saying goes. The story is pretty much the same. An action romance with some local flavour thrown in.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #131
Greg

Hmm... that doesn't sound at all like O'Brian's work with Master and Commander. His characters live in the times and places they inhabit, right down to the least detail.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:35 AM   #132
shorty943
Banned

Smith is more of the romantic side I suppose.
I read the first one because Mother dear had enjoyed the story.
The second was really not that different, so I never read another Wilbur Smith novel.
But, the detail of the life and times, the tribal life stories, all are accurate.
The brutality towards the African people, the lust and murder for diamonds and gold.
Just a little softened for the ladies.

Captain J. E. MacDonald, there is a war writer.
A genuine Royal Australian Navy WW2 destroyer skipper.
Came up through the ranks to become a commissioned officer. Through the hawsepipe as we call it.
Try to find anything by him, about the pacific war, our way of doing it.
Then you might get an idea of why we still love JFK over here.
JFK was based here for a while during WW2 and I still swear today, he is the real McHale, of McHale's Navy.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:25 AM   #133
Greg

Wow! I'm surprised that JFK's publicists are still effective after all these years!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #134
shorty943
Banned

It's a Navy thing, mate.

A skipper that tows a crewman for over a day by his belt to save him.
You can't forget a man like that.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #135
Greg

I'm sure the crewman wouldn't forget it! I've never read PT109 so I suspect I'm out of the loop when it comes to JFK being a Navy hero, but there is some interesting documentation about it on the US Navy history site.
"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, 'I served in the United States Navy,'" wrote President John F. Kennedy in August 1963.
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq60-2.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #136
shorty943
Banned

From memory it was his engineer.
The movie starring William Holden is actually quite good. For Whollywierd.

I had a quick look at the USN report. Most properly dry.

It was his inauguration speech re-broadcast over here that made me think as a kid in school.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask instead, what you can do for your country".
Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #137
Miros1
Goddess for Life

You know, we actually discussed PT-109 before. Don't remember if it was here or on the Hullabaloo.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #138
shorty943
Banned

Here in passing I think.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:22 AM   #139
Greg

Yeah, but I think we were talking about Pollenation Technician #109.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 AM   #140
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Yeah, but I think we were talking about Pollenation Technician #109.

Knowing the way we tend to traject out of plane?

Hang about. Hullabaloo? Another site I've not found yet? Oh my.

And while we are on trajectories. Or not.
I reckon we can use the western slope, of the Great Dividing Range, as a sort of jump jet kicker. That will save on embankments and towers for the rail launcher.
We could start on a downhill run, at the Hammersley Range, in Western Australia, go like hell across the valley floor for a thousand or so miles, and then kick up over the eastern mountains, and we're on our way to Mars and beyond.
Yeah, she'll be right mate, that should work.