View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #12
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg;
Back to Pets: What? There's no Daisy Hill Puppy Farm?

No, there isn't!

In order to add a pet to your household you have a couple of options:

-The Phone-

Gives you access to a pool of Dogs, Cats, Puppies & Kittens to choose from. Prices vary depending on what commands the pet in question knows. Make your choice & an Animal Control Officer (actually, a Cop complete with Police car) shows up shortly with your new family member. It always makes me laugh to see a big, burly Police Officer pull up in a Squad Car only to unceremoniously deposit an itty bity Kitten in the middle of the street...

-A Pet Store-

The community lot Pet Stores are another way to get a Dog or Cat. Once there you will see a bin (or 2 or 3) that houses a Dog or Cat (depending on the bin) drawn from the Stray Pet Pool. These animals are mostly just "placeholders", as clicking on a bin brings up a simplified version of the CAS screen for you to design the pet you want. When you're done *poof*, your new family member is by your side & ready to go home. (This only works for adult/elder Cogs & Cats, not Puppies or Kittens.)

-The Stray Pet Pool-

Unless you take steps to prevent them, your Hoods will have a small army of adult/elder Dogs & Cats that will occasionally wander by your lots. If you manage to build up the required relationship score (think it's 60 0r 70ish) you will have the option to add that pet to your family. Stray Pets are from a completely different pool than the Phone ones.

-Sim To Sim Transfers-

Sims can sell any Dogs or Cats they own to another Sim with the "Sell...Pet" interaction. The better trained the pet, the more money you get for them

-Breed Your Own-

Well, duh! If you have a male & female of the same species that get along pretty good, you can "Command" them to have a litter. Breedings are always successful & will range from 1-4 critters, depending on how much room you have left on your lot.

-The CAS Screen-

You can create pets (in greater "detail" than the pet bin interface) via CAS. I have heard mixed reviews on the buggyness of pets created that way, however.

-Buy Mode Catalog-

If a Womrat or Bird is more your speed, you just need to buy the appropriate cage from the Buy Mode Catalog, then click on it & select "Stock Cage".

You will most likely want one of the many hacks that stops stray pets from constantly re-spawning when there numbers get low, as well as a hack to stop your Sims from buying pets on their own! (Yes, Maxis did it again...)

That's about it...

-ZW

(The Left Over thing is a feature from Seasons onward, not Pets btw.)

Miros, if you ever manage to succeed in "over ridding" the P001 files, let me know! I tried it a couple times (trying to make all the pre-made pets into phone Pool) & no dice yet.

I have however managed to nuke Sarah Critters buggy pregnancy, which made me happy!