View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 02:10 AM   #42
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
My husband and I were just discussing that. Tiger Woods won again today. This time, wife and baby (Sam Alexa) were in the audience. Hubby sez in 18 years, she'll be on top of the women's tour, or would if Earl Woods was still alive. Then in the car on the way home, he says that's one little girl that will never want for anything. I said "You gotta be a little hungry and want things."

Basically, how does the generation that bootstraps itself hand down most of that drive and ambition? Or are the children (and especially grandchildren) doomed to be wastrels?

It is happening before our eyes.

Kids actually go through junkie like withdrawals, if they don't get what they want,
"right now".

College grads expecting top shelf wages, with only a basic degree, and no proven experience.

Teenagers yelling at adults, "you have to earn my respect". Not a lot of respect offered there. Can't expect any back.

Celebrity worship, Paris Hilton is to be copied? Jock's being almost deified, because they can play a game real good?
What about the local fire fighter? The Ambulance crews and Para-medics? Aren't these people worth some respect and admiration, even emulation?

I blame our own generation.

How many of your friends have you heard say. "I'm not going to be strict with my kids like my parents were".
Or. "My kids aren't going to go without like I had to".

And what happens? The child, is not taught to earn. The immature mind of the child, takes that as a sign it is special and every one else just has to deliver on demand or else, " I HATE YOU" comes out of its mouth.
And this is what I have heard from some quite prominent Psychology and Psychiatric people. They are genuinely worried. We actually have seen a degeneration of the human psychology since the end of WW2. And it really started accelerating during the 1960's.
Too many people with the "right stuff" died.

But, they made the mess, I'm on the last decade or so of my life, they are going to have to work it out for themselves. You see, apparently, it is different now, and what would we old foggies know anyway. Why don't we all just get out of the way and let the young ones who know so much more than us do what they know all about.
And I have actually had impudent young twerps speak to me like that. Not for long though.
It's hard to talk "bad mouth" with a broken mouth, youth.

Wow, time to get off the "soap box".
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote