View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

How to Install Clothing Files

Quick tutorial:
  1. Download the zip or rar file. That's an archive that contains the file you want.

2. Read the notes on the web site where you got the stuff. Many clothing articles require custom meshes. Usually folks will tell you where to find the meshes and even give you a link. (Sometimes I fail to include links because (a) I'm lazy and (b) I tend to foolishly assume everyone knows where Warlokk's stuff is.)

For example, look at the last two clothing items I posted on Sun Sims. Crystal's McCain-Palin shirt requires Warlokk's 34Dn T-shirt mesh, which is in a file named Bodyshape_34Dnat_Top_Separates.rar, from Warlokk's Hi-Res Bodyshapes - 34D Enh/Nat Tops Separates Collection on Insimenator.net.

In contrast, Sarah's T-Shirt uses the default mesh that comes with the game; no additional downloads required.

Items on MTS2 almost always link back to a spot elsewhere on MTS2, where you can get the mesh. If the link is not in the main message, look at the notes in the left-hand column and at the bottom near the download links.

3. Unzip or Unrar the files. I like to use WinZip. Rose really likes WinRAR. Either program will do a nice job of extracting the files from the archive.

4. Put the .package files in your Downloads folder. I recommend creating subfolders under Downloads for each site, so that you can keep track of where you got stuff. Don't forget to install any custom meshes, if required.
That's it. If you have all the .package files you need in your Downloads folder or a subfolder under Downloads, the items should appear in your clothing catalog. To get them onto your sims, you can create a sim wearing those clothes or have existing sims buy them.

Watch out for the age and sex of the sim the clothing is intended for, as well as the category. A clothing item for adults may not be available for young adults (or maybe it will, depending how the artist left the settings). Similarly, adults can't wear teen stuff. Girls can't wear boys' stuff. And so on.