View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 AM   #236
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
well I have the patch and the install and the no-CD. Game works and I have my downloads and Hoods working.

Can I actually get RID of securom? Or disable it in some way? This whole process is very confusing. I do want to be able to write disks for backup (not of Sims exes lol) and haven't dared try since installing BV in case it does something really nasty yet.

If necessary I can reinstall :P but don't wanna

I'm sorry. I'm running out of ways to describe the same thing.

Once more, typing slowly. Yes, you do actually get RID of SecuRom.

If you install the game, as EA say, then patched it, then replaced the games original Sims2ep6.exe file with the No-CD fixed version of the same name, you have got RID, of SecuRom. Not there any more. Gone.

And, you can still write backups to CD or DVD anytime you want. That is just a simple copy of your ~\Downloads folder, to another location. Just drag and drop from your Windows Explorer window.
It appears Sony's SecuRom thinks we are all up to no good, so it does nasty things to our systems. But not, if it isn't written to the drive in the first place, or it is "ahem" accidentally overwritten.

The No-CD fix has had all reverence to SecuRom removed from the Sims2EP6.exe file. Check the file size, it is smaller.

I hope this eases your worries mate.
It does work, I've been running my game like this since I found out about the No-CD fix. OK, bit wobbly at first with some hack conflicts, but all OK now.
Also remember to repoint your desktop shortcut to the new exe file. It installs to point to the Sims2Launcher.exe, useless thing it is. EA are getting sneaky.

Edit.

Oooh bugger, I borked my machine. But luckily, not so bad.

Hey Rosie, we use the same FX5500 card, be careful with the NVidea Control Panel.
I just right clicked my desktop to change wallpaper.
Just for a change I decided to use the NVidea Control Panel.

DO NOT DO that, which I just did. Everything just stopped. Instantly, it all just stopped working.

It has taken 2 hours to recover from the weirdest "blue screen" I have ever seen.
Not your normal MS Windows BSOD for me.
Oh no. I just have to go for the total effect.
No sight, no sound, no 'puter. Nuttin'.
Not even a fast reboot, just a silent machine with a blue LCD screen, blinking its red power light, on and off, in standby mode.

Thank God for system restore points, eh? Reboot the system, try 3 or 4 times to get it right. And finally manage to press F3 just before Windows boots, click up one space with the up arrow key to, "restore to last known good configuration". Press enter.

And leave the technothingy alone Shorty. You know you frighten it.

I still can't figure exactly what happened, other than all configuration just fell all over my motherboard, when I started the NVidea Control Panel.
This may be one of those delightful displays of a dying motherboard. And may be nothing for anybody else in the world to fret over.

Last edited by shorty943 : 01-23-2008 at 04:57 AM.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote