View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #31
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Amazing stuff! I had no idea that fans were coming up with such accurate and detailed simulations of all those spacecraft, or even that they could do things like that.

It looks like a very strong community of fan artists is developing around Martin Schweiger's original Orbiter with people of all levels of talent. It will be interesting to watch the newer artists grow in their talent, which I'm sure will happen if they don't get discouraged or distracted.

It would appear that way. I am amazed at what is available in a free simulator. So far I have only got to page 55 of the OrbiterHangar downloads section. About halfway through looking at what they have.
It seems to be as open ended as Microsoft's Freelander is supposed to be, and with a real world "astro-chap" doing the programming.
Well, time to hit the books about this one. Sims2 was a just dive in and fool with it thing. This one actually needs some study.

But, it does need one hell of a lot of graphic card grunt. And a mere 1 Gigabyte of double data rate memory is just not enough workbench for the new release.

My Athlon 64 bit 3400 Mghz CPU with 1 Gb of DDR2 RAM and my MSI FX5500 with 256 Mb of VRAM is giving me 1 frame per second at the moment.
I'm not joking, I used the inbuilt utility to check it. It's bad.

The last release worked nicely for me, this new one is hungry.
It wants my nice shiny new NX7600 graphics card but my motherboard freaks when I install it.

If I want to fool with this sim, and I surely do, then I have to upgrade my rig. I can't run Shipsim 2008 on this machine either, and even Sims 2 doesn't like water on lots or in 'hoods, with this current FX5500 video card.

I'd better make sure I win that ebay auction, for the only brand new still OEM sealed, MSI K8MM V class motherboard left in Australia.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote