Thread: Any good news?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 03:38 AM   #53
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Aha! So that's what the open road speed limit it! When I was Down Under in 1985, I read all the Rules of the Road but couldn't find anything or anyone who knew what the speed limit was. We were driving around in a little Austin America and getting passed up by those big ol' British Leyland road hogs, but hey, I was peddling as fast as I could!

Golly, I knew there was something I liked about Herbert Hoover besides him being the model for the guy on the Monopoly box.
Mate, these speed limits have only been in force for a few years, figuratively speaking.
The Northern Territory has only this year, introduced open road speed limits. There was, litterally, no limit to the speed you could drive at, once past the little no more speed limit sign.
As for the thousands of miles of private, farm roads.
They're private roads. What road rules?

Mr. Hoover. A man I've learned to admire.
He was also instrumental in the relief effort, to help those so disastrously affected by WW1. The Hoover Dam was named in his honour. I don't recall him doing the design work, "doco" on that not long ago as well. I didn't take well to the engineer who lead that project.
But, Herbert Hoover was truly, a very special sort of man.

Jack Kennedy as well. A Navy man, what do you expect.
Surprisingly, it was hearing JFK's inauguration speech, on TV here as a school kid, that did a lot to inspire me to serve my country and people. That and it is hereditary (again), every generation of my family have served, my own youngest boy was an Army Medic.
That is a big job. Those few, hold their brother in their arms in the worst time of their life.
That takes one hell of a big heart. Damn, now I'm misty. Little bit proud of baby boy.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote