View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #21
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
My first guess would be that the folks at ESA aren't putting a high priority on providing updated information on their web site, especially since they're no doubt all very busy getting ready for the launch of Columbus.

It also could be that the actual payloads they're flying are proprietary. It must be nerve-wracking to do industrial research with the whole world watching!

I should imagine they are a little busy.
I know what is like during a ships "annual survey" for her seaworthiness tickets. Every single piece of equipment is pulled down, checked, inspected, and rebuilt. It's a full rebuild-launch, every year, of any commercial ships life.
Then we cross all appendages, as she goes back into her environment.
Did I double check, my full check list, in triplicate?
All mine are still afloat, thank Neptune.

Apparently ESA are running biomedical experimentation, among other things.
So there is a lot tied up commercially, and it stands there is espionage to consider, I suppose. But, that is all industrial research. Any research into a small commercial fortune will attract the less ethically minded. Even our own government funded system here is full of cloak and dagger. The CSIRO.
There is a lot to be gained, by the less scrupulous, if they can back door research. Look at the black market, in the third world countries, in the fake medicines trade. Billions of dollars are being skimmed, for a truck load of nothing more than chalk tablets, supposedly aids drugs.
And that, is just pirating the packaging.

Then there is this little lark. IT, business paperwork and records, and comms.
World communications is a real blackmailers playground now. How does the world communicate now? Like this. Via the WWW.
Who thinks he owns and runs and controls it all? Bill?
Then how come Bill, can't keep the hackers and crooks out?

Yeah, lots of money at stake, and it can make people do the worst of things to get more. Nerve racking is probably as close as I could describe it.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote