Thread: Impact Craters
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 12:23 AM   #31
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty943 View Post
As always, your humble servant My Lady.
But, I still want to be the boss of these fool mortals, before they blow my darling mother earth to pieces.
Ok, you can be Secondary-to-the-Goddess-in-charge-of-prevention-of-large-scale-stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedelaney16 View Post
I get really angry when I hear people going on about limitless boundless energy from wind, tides, ocean currents and geothermal.

Don't they realize we can only take so much from those sources without noticeable adverse effect?

We have no idea what the limits are. Personally I fear over development of "renewable" power may be far more detrimental than our use of fossil fuels.
Mike, you haven't chosen your Secondary-to-the-Goddess title yet. You cannot have Prince Michael I.

Part of it depends on what you do with the waste-products and by-products. If you divert them too far from where they're supposed to be, yes, I can see long term problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
I'm not too worried about cooling Earth's radiator. The planet still has its radioactive core, which won't burn out until long after the sun goes nova.
I figure the core is fairly safe from human tampering. However, I read something just a couple days ago about apparent seismic events stemming from drilling for a geothermal project in a populated area. The city fathers quickly said no more of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
From all I've read, we don't have to worry about solving the problem by next week, but in the very long view, humans have about 10,000 years before all the known reserves of carbon-based fossil fuels are exhausted. If they don't find some more stuff to burn before then, there will be no choice but to go nuclear or think of something else really clever.

Considering the advances in power technology of the past 200 years, the 10,000-year long view doesn't seem so scary.
By then the styrofoam plates we ate supper off will have undergone metamorphesis and can be used as a fuel source. (Can you tell styrofoam plates are a bone of contention here?)
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote