Thread: Second Life?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #33
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Yeah. With no hard data, there's no way to know. Isn't it just like New Yorkers to assume that the rest of the world would attach some meaning to saying it's the size of New York City!

There is a place like that here. It's called Sydney.

Sydneysiders, to the rest of Australia at least, seem to think the rest of Australia is only there to provide for them.

But, at least we don't have to live there. We can always come home to sleepy, clean, little old Adelaide.

I just remembered. My state capital Adelaide, has a sister city in Texas.
Can't remember which city off hand. Will check.

From what I can see, there are usually about 50,000 or more players online at any one time of day. More during the US evening time zones of course.
Then the week ends are up again, as every one has more time to spare.

As for what money anyone wants to spend?
You can play and explore and goof off as much as you like for free.
But, in the end that is all that is, a goof off.

But, if you want to base your self away from the madding crowds of Linden, SL Owners. And accept the genuine friendships that people offer?
Some pay the 9.95 per month to Linden Labs, so they can own land.Then pay for the land, buy or build a house, then there is the tier, think of it as "Council or County, Rates and taxes". And so on it goes. Or.
You have to find a privately owned sim, that will allow land ownership, with out needing a "Premium Account" of 9.95\mth. There is still the tier fees, of course. Which are usually a little lower.
But, You are secured in a better way, it is more akin to a gated secure community in that respect. Most, if not all, estate agents supply free basic housing for starters still.
The whole thing is a massive new form of social networking. Chatting with people today. A couple met in SL, got on well, eventually met in real life.
They have just finished a successful house hunt together, and there is a wedding in the near future. That can't be all bad.

I do truly like the real time contact this software allows. OK, the screen is a 3D graphic, quite a nice 3D graphic, there is a graphic representation of the person you see. Once again, there are Pro 3D artist who will make a photo-realistic avatar if you want to pay several hundreds of dollars.
But no one is forcing that down any ones throat. And at the other keyboard there is another or several other people. It is a genuine human being with a heart and mind and soul. Not some dopeily coded dumb thing.

You may be using text, some use voice. But there is a human being with real feelings and cares on the other end. It genuinely puts people in touch with one another in some cases in the best way. Example, the couple who met and are now marrying.

Greg, I just had another chuckle at myself, with your engineering strategy remark. Good luck mate.
I gave up on the 3D avatar editing gizmo. And all I was trying to do was get my damned sunglasses on straight.

Plan B? Loose them.

Away from the lunatic Linden Mainland, on the simmed island. I've met some really nice people. I presume it is the same in all the private sims.

I, am buying a little block, just off the beach, in Porta Vallarta. The agents are putting a cottage on it and landscaping it for free. There is that much in the way of "freebies" that furnishing etc, is costless. The head of Island Security is a friend, and he GAVE me a waverunner yesterday. Now if I can just stop before the hard bit. And that windsurfer on the beach is still dumping me in the ocean.
Oh, and you can fly ingame. I found out a couple of tricks, so I thought aerobatics. yeah.
While practicing, I decided to try a Frigate Bird like dive into the laggoon.
Bad move, laggoon shallow.
Bounced badly off the bottom, ricocheted off a dolphin, ended up in the top of somebodies palm tree.
So there is a lot of fun game play as well as the social side.
I'm in for the long haul, I like the whole thing. Sims 3, Sims 4, Sims 10.
Still will not be what SL is. Because the whole thing is coded.
SL is human beings.

What is it costing me in the long term? A hell of a lot? Bah, the price of a pack of cigarettes per month. A man should have enough sense to give the damned things up by now anyway, you'd think.
And I own my little tropical getaway, three steps from the beach.
The snapshot is view from the back right of the block, above the house site.
The purple box is the estate agents billboard. The house will sit behind where that is. On the flat. Sit on the verandah, watch the waves break on the shore. What a nice little chat room.
There is a hammock ear marked for between the two palms on the hill. Drop in some time.
Take the waverunner out, it's a two seater.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapshot_001.jpg (136.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by shorty943 : 02-18-2008 at 12:26 PM.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote