View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Miros1
Goddess for Life

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Thomas Jefferson

Although Thomas Jefferson never heard of spam, he'd probably agree that's the price of freedom from spam too! Basically, early every day, Greg checks for spammers and blows away their accounts and all their spammy posts with one powerful click. If you leave even one for 24 hours, that spammer comes back and brings all his or her little spammer friends. Boards with inactive administrators and moderators (and spam-friendly settings) quickly vanish into piles of spam.

I'm amazed that InSimAdult didn't vanish into spam this spring, but apparently, Kathy got the settings right to keep the spam down, so that the shoestring moderation that was available could handle what did get through.

Sadly, all of Orkut (the social networking group) seems to have vanished for all practical purposes -- it's full of Indians, Pakistanis, and Brazilians who have filled up every unguarded group (unfortunately including the Moon Society group) with spam in languages other than English. I can tell it's Spam, because it's got the Hormel trademark on it! The only reason my Orkut account is at all functional is because I refuse all connections which aren't accompanied by a message in English.

Now if Ben Franklin was still alive, he'd take the Senate out one night, get 'em drunk, and get an anti-spam law passed the next day!

Last edited by Miros1 : 06-15-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote