View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Default My Sims Machine Died (and what I did about it)

Well, I really did it this time. I installed a new power supply and graphics card in my Sims machine today. To keep a long story short: Now the thing won't boot up.

I've tried all the obvious things, including reinstalling the original power supply and video card and trying all the possible combinations of old and new. Now matter what, all I see on the screen is a rapidly blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner.

When I first power on, I see the disk light come on for a while and hear the disks spinning. Then they stop and I'm left staring at that blinking cursor. I have no idea what what the problem is or how to figure it out. Maybe I messed up the ribbon cable to the disk drives. Maybe the new power supply fried the mother board. Maybe the new graphics card killed it.

I could find a computer repair shop and see if they can fix it, but I fear that the cost of repair would exceed the value of the machine.

So, anybody got any suggestions? If I'm going to give up and buy a new machine, I want one with a BIG case, big enough to work in. These little hp cases are great as long as you never intend to open them!

Last edited by Greg : 03-10-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: "Spinnig"? Is that a part of an old tall ship?
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote