View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #27
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Nevertheless, it really chaps to have to install fan-created hacks to get rid of [idiotic, sophomoric, lame, moronic, stupid, noisome] features that I don't want.
I guess this is one of the problems with game design; one person's "lame & moronic" is another person's "quirky & humorous". For me, I play the game to escape reality, not recreate it to a "T". (If Sims 3 follows the uber-reality fan hacks & introduces menstruation cycles, I will ban it from my PC forever, even if it meets every single spec I ranted about before because to me, THAT is lame & moronic! )

I have to admit that I'm one of the fools who actually finds much of the "lame" stuff to be funny. (I like to blame it on my Sci-Fi/Fantasy upbringing & love of B-Grade movies, but I'm pretty sure it's more of a personal flaw! )

As for having to install fan hacks to deal with those things, I don't bother with most of them as "those things" are 99.99% already completely controlled by the player in the first place. The only real exceptions would be Alien Abductions (though you can avoid those by not using the uber expensive telescope) & the NPC Vampires being able to to antonymous biting, which I fully admit is lame & moronic & for which I have installed a fan hack for.

I suppose a smarter way for Maxis to handle these things would have been to have something like a "Supernatural Elements on/off" setting like there is for graphic, audio & other game play options...maybe even something you could set on a Hood-By-Hood basis?

Hmmmm, actually, it would be cool if you could set different "global" properties for different Hoods! Dang, I wish I had learned more about computer programing....

-ZW