View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #52
shorty943
Banned

Well, the Admiral was "Dartmouth". RN, not RAN, not one of our boys.

But, to go back to the fraternisation thing, it is all about familiarity and breeding contempt etc. All old school old style, and to a certain extent it is actually vital for good running of certain kinds of ventures. And it applies across the board. Some just take it to the letter of the law, others in the spirit of the law, and others still prefer to be seen to be obeying the law, and don't mind "bending" it where and when needed. (Like the fighter pilots, who treated me as a sort of little brother, I was a student aerobatic pilot in my time off, the top guns looked at me as one of them, and the other officers who fauned all over the top guns, looked daggers at the "lower deckman" who dared speak to a semi-god like an almost equal.

(Insert indignant harumph here sir, if you please, sir)

I think the same mind set is found every where. You always find it more on the big ships, where there are so many officers, and the politics involved in their seniorities. On small ships, the captain is usually called boss or skipper.

On the "lower deck" we don't care, our job is simply to do, or die.
But, in your own time that man there, and fill out the request form, in triplicate, for my perusal, approval or refusal,,,, hmm,,,, how does tomorrow sound.
Right?, get it?, got it?, good!!

One of the reasons they (the Joss and his henchmen) really hated me was, I actually was, to an extent, untouchable. A ship of 1,500 men crewing, and only 2 with my qualifications.
They could not operate without a full deck fire and rescue crew, so they could not "clap me in irons".

Come pay day, I set off ashore, and spent a little on wine, a little on song, and a little on woman.
The rest I just seemed to waste foolishly.
I was late aboard port after port, in mischief time after time.

Never destructive or wanton vandalism or anything like that, just "youthful high spirits". Lots of, and I mean, lots and lots of youthful high spirits.
I'm just a country boy, don't mean no harm, just havin' some fun.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote