View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Every field of human endeavor has its dilettantes and its professionals. I'm an amateur astronomer, but I don't insist that professional astronomers should not be paid. Volunteer firefighters don't denigrate professional firefighters. People who play baseball at the park on weekends don't go around insisting that all professional sports must be destroyed.
Boy, did you ever hit the nail on the head (and strait into a hornet nest) with that one! The number of people who don't consider Art Theft to be theft is really disturbing, but facts are facts: Theft is theft no matter what you're stealing, folks!

As an aspiring self-employed Artist, this is a REAL hot-button issue for me so I'll spare you the rabid, fire-spitting tyraid, which is in 110% agreement with you, btw!

I also can't help but notice that the "pro stealing" side is forever trying to muddy the waters with rants about the comparative quaility of objects available- usually involving personal attacks against any "enemy" creators- while neatly side stepping the REAL issue at hand which is that people who wish to provide their Art for free & people who wish to charge for their time/creative process should BOTH be able to have their wishes respected (& not deliberately undermined) by the other.

'Nuff said!

-ZW