View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
rdanner3
Herald of the Dawn

Default Another project, same source.

The RSMC Formal Dress (and battle dress) uniforms. LOL The FDU has two variants (slight differences between the male and female versions) and there's a third variant that has white fabric (that only the Royal Family is permitted to wear), not the space-black of the normal RSMC. Will post the description once I find the one that actually describes the uniform properly. Fortunately, normal working-uniform (aka BDU) is very similar, only without certain of the accents present in the FDU (so could easily be classed as a recolor of the FDU)

As a start, though, the FDU strongly resembles the USMC Formal Dress Uniform, with certain differences. (Gold piping, rather than red, for one; black background rather than the dark blue of the USMC for another).

Rank "pip" design is very different between the original template (USMC) and the RSMC, though. RSMC rank pips are octagonal, three-color (Officer ranks consist of gold/silver/black for the "hollow" pip, gold/silver/gold for the "filled"'; enlisted would be silver/brass/black for hollow, silver/brass/silver for the filled), and there can be up to five on the collar. (four for the rank, one denoting "sub-grade") To make matters a bit more complex, (as if we needed it!) there are mentions in the books of several wearing more normal single pin rank designations with the sub-grade pin.

(in another, semi-unrelated thing, during trying to get usable rank pins that looked right IRL, the cheapest quote for the full slate I'd need (total of (I think) 15 pins) was close to $400. I shudder to think what the uniform will eventually cost as a one-off. Could have miscalculated the total number of pins needed for the various ranks, though. LOL)
rdanner3 is offline   Reply With Quote