View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Default A Patching Query

(This is a question that popped into my head at 2 AM & is making me paranoid that I will need to reinstall my flipping game yet again! )

When I install an Official Patch is it only patching the EP/SP it is for or is it also patching things in the "base game" folder? Like, when I run the Seasons EP patch, is it just patching stuff under Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 Seasons or is it also trying to mess with stuff under the Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 Happy Holiday Edition (my base game) folder?

So, am I really patching my game properly if I run a given patch before I have converted the given EP/SP to be "Read Only" but with the base game (& previously installed EP/SP) files still set to be "Read Only" as I have been converting my files to be "Read Only" on a pack-by-pack basis just after running the needed patch(es) & never thought to convert everything back to "normal" when adding/patching a new EP/SP.

Thought I would double check this before I get to far into this latest reinstall. Everything seems fine with my game, but with all the (paranoid?) talk at InSim (& other sites) about "behind the scenes" damage when using incompatible hacks, this just got me worried that "seems fine" my not mean squat!

-ZW