View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

I dunno; this is a pretty honking great fan sitting atop a model of the Detroit skyline.

On top of that, the case itself has three 5" fans. Amusingly, those fans all have speed controls that can be set to L, M, or H.

Progress Report: The memory is installed along with its great massive pile of copper, the ASUS Cool Mempipe.

The honking huge graphics card is in, too. Did I mention that it has its own fan and heat pipe? It also has a picture of a pretty lady emblazoned on the red plastic ducting for the heat pipe. It looks cool; kind of a shame to hide it inside a box where the pretty lady will be gazing down upon the power supply. Maybe I'll create a sim for her and name her Heather Pipe. That took quite a while because I stopped to read the manual and even to use this machine to look up the documentation that came on a CD.

Hooking up power to the mother board was an adventure because the 12-volt connector had to stretch over the top of the graphics card. I needed to do a bit of cable management and pull the wires pretty tight to get the 4-pin connector to reach.

The 24-pin power connector was yet another little adventure. This whizbang Cooler Master 550-watt power supply has 20+4 connectors for that, and I paused to check all the pinouts to make sure I had the 20-pin and 4-pin connectors arranged correctly. Then I discovered that there was only one way they would fit. Silly me.

The hardest part continues to be the fear that I'll spend all this money and time on it, only to find out that it doesn't work. At least if that happens I won't be embarrassed taking it to an expert. This is the kind of system that's meant to be fiddled with!

So... what's next? I'm running out of boxes to open so it must be time to install the hard drive and CD drive. Then I have to hook up all the little fiddly bits. I wish I had a checklist for the fiddly bits but I can't find out; I'll have to figure it out on my own.