View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Progress Report: The new machine now has a brain! (How many people have been tempted to name their computers "Scarecrow" because of this?) The CPU has an incredible heat sink and a fan that once would have been the only fan in the whole computer.

Here's an oddity. Section 2.3.3 of the manual for the mother board says:
Install the optional fan only if you are using a passive cooler or a water cooler. Installing the optional fan with an active CPU cooler will interfere with the airflow and destabilize the system.
I don't plan to install a water cooler (or a coffee pot, for that matter). If I were planning to experiment with overclocking this machine that might be a consideration but I just want to get a main machine going that will run Photoshop, Solidworks, and The Sims 2 without glitches. Everything else I do with my machine could easily be handled by a system I could buy off the shelf for $400.

By "a passive cooler" I'm guessing that they mean a heat sink without a fan, so I don't think I have one of those, either. Which means I will not install the optional fan.

Now for the memory. It says here on the packaging:
KHX8500D2K2/2GR
I'm sure that means something to someone. The amusing part is that after installing the memory, I get to install a heat sink for it that would cool the better part of lower Manhattan!