View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #75
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

I have a theory about what happens on Insim sometimes. First, the database processor gets overwhelmed and loading a web page times out. Then IE caches the failed login and gets stuck in some place where it won't even try to reload the page.

Often it starts working again if I just quit IE and start it up again. Sometimes not, though. If it doesn't come back after restarting IE, I figure it must be that Insim is really jugged up. Its database might have become corrupted (it happens, especially with a mysql database) and could be in the process of automatically repairing its own data tables.

The root cause of the problem is that that Insim often has more traffic than its database server can handle with the way the web pages are configured. The only solution I know of is to visit at off-peak times.

Sun Sims has the same basic vBulletin setup but its database use isn't nearly a great per page, and (more important) the traffic here isn't even a vague shadow of what Insim gets.

I noted some amusing statistics about Insimadult (message #989 in Anja Book 2)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Anybody in the mood for some absolutely worthless statistics?

I was just updating my log of all the chapters and side notes in Anja's story (with hopes of one day making an index to this opus) and noticed that the data for the index provides enough information to calculate some amusing statistics on Insimadult as a whole.
  • Anja's story has been running for 9,801 hours (408 days), from chapter 1 to the latest episode in chapter 202.

• In that time, Insimadult had a total of 94,330 posts, for an average of 9.6 posts per hour. That's 231 posts per day.

• Anja's story (Book 1 and Book 2 combined) accounted for 2.6% of that total.
Now that we all know that, if anyone can think of a way in which those statistics might be of any significance to anyone, please let me know!
To add to that: The download threads get between 200 and 1000 page views per post... say an average of 500. So at 10 posts per hour, that means the adult site is getting 5000 page views per hour, times 20 messages per page, times about 20 database queries per message... that comes out to an average of 550 database queries per second!

*Gleep!* No wonder it gets weird once in a while! The poor thing is exhausted!

There's really not a lot that Kathy could do to alleviate the problem. She could tweak the board a little it to cut down on database useage (thus messing up some features that the fans are used to) but really the only permanent solution would be a fantastically more expensive dedicated database server, maybe even running an Oracle database. I don't think any site but TSR could hope to afford a rig like that.