Sun Sims Forums

Sun Sims Forums (http://www.sunsims.com/forums/index.php)
-   Help Desk (http://www.sunsims.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Compresserizer & Subfolder Questions (http://www.sunsims.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467)

Zirconia Wolf 08-04-2007 03:22 PM

Compresserizer & Subfolder Questions

Just stumbled onto (I'm slow) DJ's progam- the Compresserizer- that "Eats Sims For Breakfast", i.e. is able to compress Package files into smaller sizes.

http://www.djssims.com/index.php?category=21

Two questions:

1- Anyone know if Delphy's Download Organizer & HDCU can read compressed Package files?

2- I know that Sims 2 is okay with subfolders in the Downloads one, but I see on DJ's screenshot (in the PDF file) that he has subfolders with subfolders of their own is his Downloads folder. I'm gonna go out on a limb & asume that means that subsubfolders are okay too...but again, can HDCU & Delphy's thing handle that?

mikedelaney16 08-04-2007 03:29 PM

With regard to HCDU only (hadn't heard of the other one before now):

1. No (to the best of my knowledge)

2. Yes

Zirconia Wolf 08-04-2007 03:50 PM

Thanks for the info!

While compressing those files would be kinda nice, I'm not about to give up the HDCU! Looks like I'll be uncompressed for now.

Delphy's Download Organiser is truely awesome! It's help me identify all sorts of "mystery" files lurking in my Downloads folder. You can check it out at MTS2 here

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=227925

Also makes it easier to organise your Downloads when you can actually see what "124574657237Sdfw" or what have you actually is!

mikedelaney16 08-04-2007 04:05 PM

Sorry, my mistake, it's "the Compresserizer" I hadn't heard of.

But I still don't know if the organizer can read compressed files.

What format does the Compresserizer use?

Zirconia Wolf 08-04-2007 07:19 PM

I have no idea. Even the PDF file is silent as to how exactly the "Compresserizer" compresses. This seems a little odd to me, but maybe it was deemed "to technical" for the masses? Speaking as a mass, I kinda like knowing what something is doing to my trusty PC!

According to the Compresserizer info, SimPE ia also equiped with a compressing feature (which is supposedly not as good as the Compresserizer's method) but given that I can't use SimPE right now (untill the H&M/Bon Voyage release) & that HDCU doesn't want it's files compressed at all, I'm not going to voulenteer to test it!

****UPDATE****

Deciding that it might be fun to see a BFBVFS on my new computer (which- like my computer before it- has been remarkabley BFBVFS free) I went ahead & re-organsied my Downloads folder to include sub-subfolders & gave Delphy's Organiser a try.

It worked like a charm! (Yipee!)

So I guess I posted this thread for no good reason. :p

Oh well.....

Miros1 08-04-2007 08:18 PM

1) Certain files with certain resources weren't being compressed right, so sayeth Delphy. I just woke up so I can't remember which ones. This was a mistake in Compresserizer, which i hope has been fixed. Let me investigate...

The compression process is the same one that Maxis uses, and that SimPE uses for some resources. Compressorizer just uses them on everything, resulting in files that are significantly smaller and work fine in the game.

2) Yes. Everything I downloaded from TSR as a set item is in a folder with the filename of the set inside a folder with the name of the creator inside Downloads. Warlokk's meshes are in folders by body or top or bottom size, inside Downloads/Warlokk. I don't bother going deeper.

Greg 08-04-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miros1 (Post 3565)
... Everything I downloaded from TSR as a set item is in a folder with the filename of the set inside a folder with the name of the creator inside Downloads. Warlokk's meshes are in folders by body or top or bottom size, inside Downloads/Warlokk. I don't bother going deeper.

That's a clever way to do it! Now if we could just figure out how to make that information available in the game, or Body Shop, or Clean Installer, it would be a lot easier to figure out the custom content lists!

Miros1 08-04-2007 10:46 PM

I gotta get my report generator done...

Greg 08-04-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miros1 (Post 3573)
I gotta get my report generator done...

Yes! (Insert many encouraging words here.) :grilledcheese:

Zirconia Wolf 08-04-2007 11:58 PM

I think I'll hold off on doing any compressing untill I hear if the compressing "problems" have been fixed...& figure out if HDCU can handle it!

Sub-subfolders are a blessing to organiser freaks like me!

Miros1 08-05-2007 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg (Post 3578)
Yes! (Insert many encouraging words here.) :grilledcheese:

Lol, SimText has saved me more hours of file dragging and renaming than it took to write the dumb thing.

Hope the report generator is as useful.

Greg 08-16-2007 09:07 PM

(Insert additional encouraging word here. :D)

Miros1 08-16-2007 10:28 PM

I actually worked on it today. The slow part is that I'm learning XSLT at the same time...

Greg 08-17-2007 08:30 AM

Hooray!

Sita 03-26-2008 12:56 PM

Rose, I had a beta of SimText that I used over and over and over... I lost it on yet another reinstall of Windoze. Could I be very cheeky and ask for another copy please?

Miros1 03-26-2008 07:56 PM

Sure! I'm gonna make one final change to how you set up the filename and I'll send it to you tomorrow.

(Gonna put the strings in a list box and you can construct the filename from one or more strings in an entry field. Just got home from work, so I hope you can follow that description!)

Greg 03-26-2008 11:25 PM

I followed it! You said you're going to put the strings in a box. Would that be a shoe box or something fancier?